HomeUK RulesLegalCitizenship › Who to Notify after Making a Name Change
Who to Notify when You Change Your Name

When you change your name, there are several authorities that you need to inform. This includes the passport office, driving licence authority, and other relevant organisations where your name is registered.

Failing to do so can result in confusion and complications down the road. This article provides a comprehensive guide on who to inform after changing your name. Let's dive in.

Passport Office

If you have a British passport, you’ll need to update your name with the Passport Office. This is necessary regardless of changing your first, middle, or last name.

To do this, you’ll need to complete the ‘name change’ section of the application form, which can be found on the passport website.

You’ll also need to send in your current passport and evidence of your name change. This could be a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or deed poll certificate.

Your Employer

Your workplace has several documents with your old name, like your pay slip, bank details etc. So you must inform them about the change in your name and get all these documents changed.

Consider contacting HR by dropping an email, mentioning all the details and requesting them to update your name in the documents. Don’t forget to attach all proofs of name change to fast-track the process.

Note: The main section contains more information about British citizenship rules with key advice to help people in Great Britain understand life in the United Kingdom.


After you have changed your name, you need to update your driver’s licence and vehicle registration. To do this, you must inform the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

You can do this by filling out a form and sending it to the DVLA. The form is available online or at any DVLA office.

Once the form is completed, you will need to provide proof of your name change, like a deed poll or marriage certificate.

Once the DVLA has received your updated information, they will send you a new licence and registration. If you have moved since changing your name, you will need to update your address with the DVLA.

Banks and Financial Institutions

You must inform your bank or any other financial institution about your name change. This is because these organisations have documents with your old name, such as your credit card, debit card, cheque book, statements, etc.

To update your name, you will need to visit the branch in person and fill out a change of name form.

Other Important Organisations

In addition to the organisations mentioned above, you need to inform many other important organisations about your name change. These include:

  • The electoral roll
  • HM Revenue and Customs
  • Your local council
  • Your doctor, dentist, and other medical professionals
  • Your insurance company
  • Your broadband and TV provider
  • The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
  • Student Loans Company.

Is Changing Your Name in the UK Difficult?

If you have searched on the internet about “how to change your name“, you would know that the name change process in the UK is relatively easy.

All you need to do is fill out a deed poll form and have it witnessed by two people who are not related to you. Once the form is complete, you can use your new name immediately.

While there are some restrictions on what names you can choose – for example, you can’t choose a name that would offend or intrigue – there are no other major hurdles to overcome.

Final Word

Only changing the name is not enough in the UK. You need to notify all the important organisations so that they can update their records. We hope this article clarified who to inform after changing your name in the UK.

Who to Inform After Changing Your Name in the UK?