The UK Rules
Foreign Nationals

Foreign Nationals Visa, Fees, and Documents

This section explains how foreign nationals can get married or form a civil partnership in the United Kingdom. Find out how to give notice, what documents you need, and how much it will cost.

Either of the partners may need a visa to come to the United Kingdom to get married or form a civil partnership.

It would apply if either you or your partner come from outside of the EEA or Switzerland and subject to immigration control.

You would need to get a UK visa to give notice to a register office before getting married or forming a civil partnership.

Note: It would also include people who would not usually need visas for a general visit (unless they are already in the United Kingdom).

You would both need to give at least 28 days of notice while you are in the United Kingdom. You must use one of the designated register offices in England and Wales if both of these apply to either of the partners:

Some processes for immigration control differ for foreign nationals getting married in Scotland and in Northern Ireland.

Note: The rights and status of EU citizens living in the UK will remain unchanged until 2021. The scheme to apply for settled status for EU citizens and their families beyond June 2021 starts in full from March 2019.

Getting a Visa from Outside the United Kingdom

The circumstances of your partner will determine which application process to use. In most cases, it will depend on where they are applying from.

Partner is from UK (or settled here)

Partner is from EEA or Switzerland (excluding UK)

Partner Not from the UK, EEA, or Switzerland

Foreign Nationals Giving Notice

Both partners need to give at least 28 days of notice at a designated register office. But, you must have both lived in England and Wales for at least 7 days to do so.

Note: Give notice at your local register if both of you are exempt from immigration control. But, you would need to show some evidence of why you have an exemption (e.g. citizen right of abode).

Extending the Notice Period

Some situations allow you to extend your notice period for up to 70 days. To qualify, one of the partners should:

Note: They will confirm within the 28 day notice period whether your situation qualifies for the extension.

The registrar will inform you whether it applies to you or not. They may also refer your proposed marriage or civil partnership to the Home Office. They might then conduct an investigation to check the relationship is genuine.

The Home Office may interview you or ask you for extra information as part of an investigation. Failing to comply means your marriage or civil partnership cannot go ahead. You must also inform the Home Office if your address changes during the notice period.

Required Documentation

You will need to take some documents to the designated register office. They will need to see proof of your name, your date of birth, your nationality and your address.

They will ask you about the immigration status of your partner if they are from outside the EEA (or Switzerland). Likewise, they will ask your partner about your status if you are from outside the EEA or Switzerland.

Notice Fees and Immigration Conditions

There is a notice fee of £35 to pay. It would apply if your passport or your immigration document shows that you:

What happens if you do not hold any of these documents? In this case, you would need to pay a fee of £47 and then give:

Foreign Nationals: Marriages and Civil Partnerships in United Kingdom