Citizenship from the 1st of October 1986
The actual date you became a citizen determines how to order a certificate.
Replace a Lost Certificate (or damaged)
The cost to replace a lost or damaged certificate is £250. You can either:
- Apply for a duplicate certificate online
- Apply by postal methods (details below)
Note: If you not have access to a computer (or you are not confident using one) you can get help by telephone or by email to complete the online form.
There are three basic steps to follow if you want to apply for a citizenship certificate replacement by post:
- Download and complete Form NC to apply for a replacement certificate of registration or naturalisation as a British citizen.
- Fill in the payment slip for citizenship applications (e.g. the correct fee for a duplicate certificate). Payment options include credit or debit card or by cheque.
- Send both of the completed forms to this address at UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
New Hall Place
You must notify the police if your citizenship certificate has been stolen.
How to Correct a Mistake on a Certificate
There are three basic steps to follow for correcting mistakes on a citizenship certificate using postal methods:
- Download and complete Form NC to apply for the correction of a registration or naturalisation certificate (see above).
- Send the completed form along with the original certificate to Department 1 address at UKVI.
- You will get a letter from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) if there is a charge. A fee of £250 would be due if you made the mistake on the certificate.
New Hall Place
Citizenship Prior to 1st of October 1986
You can request a search for a certificate of British citizenship 1949-1986 via The National Archives. You would then be able to order a certified copy for:
- A registration certificate issued between the 1st of January 1949 and the 30th of September 1986.
- A naturalisation certificate issued between the 1st of January 1844 and the 30th of September 1986.
Note: People who became a British citizen before October 1986 cannot get a replacement certificate from UKVI. But, you can contact UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) for further assistance in matters such as these.
Replace or Correct a Naturalisation Certificate in United Kingdom