Home Rules Legal Citizenship Gender Recognition › Documentation
Documents for Gender Recognition

Several factors determine what documents you need to provide for the application. You must also send a report that includes the details of any treatment you had.

REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION: Sending certain documents and medical reports is mandatory when you apply. It will depend on:

  • Which one of the application routes you are using.
  • Whether you have ever been married or in a civil partnership.

No matter which route you use you must fill in the appropriate statutory declaration:

Note: As a rule, you will need to send the original documents. The Gender Recognition Panel will return most of them after looking at the application. But, they will not return the statutory declarations.

Were You Ever Married or in a Civil Partnership?

These are the documents needed for Gender Recognition Certificate for any of the application routes (if they are relevant):

  • Either an original or a certified copy of the marriage or the civil partnership certificate.
  • A copy of the decree ending the marriage or some document that proves the dissolution of any previous civil partnership.
  • A copy of the death certificate if your spouse died.

Note: Your spouse must fill in ‘form T469: Statutory declaration for the spouse of an applicant‘ if you want to stay married.

Using the Standard or Alternative Track

All the application routes require you to send:

  • Either an original or a certified copy of your birth certificate.
  • Copies of an official document that shows your birth name changed to your current name.
  • Any medical reports that show what kind of treatment you had.
  • Some proof that you lived in your acquired gender for the minimum required time for the relevant application route.

Proof of Living in an Acquired Gender

You will need to prove you lived in your acquired gender. It must cover the minimum required time (e.g. two (2) years for the standard route). As a rule, it will include sending the original copies of your:

  • Passport and driving licence.
  • Payslips (or benefit award notices).
  • Utility bills (or other ‘official’ types of documents).

All documents should display your acquired name and your acquired gender. The date of the earliest document must be before the start date of the required time.

Sending in Medical Reports

All the application routes require you to send in a medical report. It should show the details of any treatment that you had to change your sexual characteristics. Typical examples include surgery or hormone treatment.

When you send in a medical report it must be an original copy from a qualified medical professional. In many of the cases, it will be from:

  • A doctor registered with the General Medical Council (GMC).
  • A psychologist registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).

The ‘Gender dysphoria: list of specialists (T493)‘ will help you find a doctor or psychologist near you. They can write a report to support an application for a Gender Recognition Certificate.

If you send a report from a registered medical professional not on the list they must be able to prove that they work in gender dysphoria.

You must also get your GP or surgeon to complete a second report if you use the standard route. Get them to fill in ‘Form T452: Medical report for gender recognition‘ and include it with your application.

Note: One of the required medical reports must include the details of your diagnosis of gender dysphoria.

Using the Overseas Application Track

You will need different documentation if you apply using the overseas route. You must have proof that one of the ‘approved countries’ accepted your gender as legal. Use form titled ‘Overseas gender recognition (2011) (T491)‘.

Besides that, you should also send either the original or certified copies of these documents (if you have them):

  • Your new birth certificate and your old birth certificate.
  • An amended birth certificate showing the change of gender.
  • A court order authorising your change of gender.
  • An equivalent document to a Gender Recognition Certificate.
  • An entry in a legal register proving the recognition of your acquired gender.

Documentation Required for a Gender Recognition Certificate in the United Kingdom