HomeA-Z UK RulesImmigration › Permanent Residence Documents
Permanent Residence Documents UK

The Home Office issued this type of residence document to EU and EEA nationals to confirm a right of permanent residence in the United Kingdom. This guide explains the new rules for permanent residence documents for EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens when they are no longer valid.

Living in the UK after the 30th of June 2021

The first point to note is that the Home Office will not accept any new applications for the UK permanent residence document.

So, what should you do if you have already been issued this type of certificate for living in the United Kingdom?

If so, the information below is important because UK permanent residence documents are not valid from the 30th of June 2021.

Did you apply before the 1st of January 2021? If so, the Home Office will still consider the application. You should have their decision before the end of June 2021.

Have you been living in the United Kingdom before the 31st of December 2020? If so, you can apply through the EU Settlement Scheme for EU citizens and their families to remain in the United Kingdom after Brexit.

Important: The closing date has been stated as the 30th of June 2021. But, a successful application for ‘settled status’ means you would be able to apply for British citizenship (see below).

Rules for Close and Extended Family Members

The new EU Settlement Scheme (settled and pre-settled status) is also available for the close family members of applicants, including:

  • A spouse (husband, wife)
  • A civil partner
  • Children and grandchildren
  • Parents and grandparents

New applications for UK residence cards have now ended. Even so, ‘extended family members’ can also apply if they already have one. An extended family member could be your:

  • Unmarried partner
  • Brother or sister
  • Aunt or uncle
  • Cousin, nephew, or niece

Note: The main section contains more information about visa rules and regulations in the United Kingdom – for individuals, tourists, and for short stay visa applications.

Do You Have a Permanent Residence Document?

Permanent residence documents will no longer be valid after the 30th of June 2021. So, once they expire you will not be able to use them for:

  • Applying for British citizenship.
  • Sponsoring a visa application for a partner (e.g. if they are basing it on your residence).

Applications made before 1st of January 2021

If you applied on or before the 31st of December 2020, you might not get a decision from the Home Office until the end of June 2021.

EU and EEA nationals will get a certificate fixed inside a blue ‘residence documentation’ booklet. The booklet will be pink for Swiss citizens.

Note: When you receive your certificate from the Home Office, it should state “Document Certifying Permanent Residence”.

How to Apply for British Citizenship

The new rules allow you to apply for citizenship if you have ‘permanent residence’ status. But, you would need to have lived in the United Kingdom (both):

  • For a total period of at least five (5) years.
  • One (1) year after you qualified for permanent residence status.

You can apply for citizenship if your spouse is a British citizen (e.g. husband, wife, civil partner) if you have lived in the United Kingdom for a period of at least three (3) years before the date of your application.

Related Help Guides

Note: This short video presented by Workforce People Solutions contains further information about the EU Settlement Scheme and job opportunities across the United Kingdom.

UK Rules for Permanent Residence Documents