Applying from Outside the United Kingdom
The fee for a UK passport will be different for British nationals who apply from another country.
You should use the process for overseas British passport applications if you are applying from abroad.
Applying in the United Kingdom
You have a choice if you are in the United Kingdom when you apply. You can make an application online or use postal methods to get your first adult passport.
If You Apply Online
In fact, you can use the normal passport application service to apply for an adult passport and pay for it online.
You will need to print off the application form and then fill it in. Check the details and send it with any supporting documents to the HM Passport Office address written on the form.
Note: If you fill in the application form online you will not be able to use the Passport Check and Send service.
If You Apply by Post
There are two ways to get the paper application form if you want to apply for an adult passport by postal methods:
- You can get it from any branch that offers the Post Office Check and Send service.
- Contact the Passport Adviceline to get a form posted to your address.
If you use the paper form you will need to fill in sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and section 9. A ‘countersignatory’ needs to fill in section ten (10) and certify the photograph.
Note: HM Passport Office has produced a booklet as a help guide. It explains how to fill in a passport application form and provide the correct photo.
There are two methods of sending in a first adult passport application form. You can either:
- Send the form, photos, and the documents by postal methods. If so, you can use the HMPO pre-printed envelope that accompanies the form.
- Take the form, photos, and documents to the Post Office if you are using the Passport Check and Send service.
ALSO IN THIS SECTION
Get a Passport for an Adult | General information and help guide with steps for British nationals to follow.
Passport Services for the Disabled | Using free facilities and passport services if you’re blind or disabled.
Note: Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HMPO) might need to confirm your identity. If so, they will contact you and ask you to attend one of their passport interviews.
Getting Your First Adult Passport
In most cases, you will receive your new adult passport by courier or through the Royal Mail. You will be able to track your passport application. When they deliver it to you, they will either:
- Post the passport through your letterbox.
- Deliver it by hand (if you are at home).
- Leave a card or post a letter saying how you can get it. The letter will not state that the package is a passport.