REGISTERED TRAVELLERS: The main benefit is getting through UK border control faster. It also avoids the need to fill in a landing card.
Registered Traveller service membership means you can use:
- United Kingdom and European Union entry lanes.
- ePassport gates providing the passport contains a ‘chip‘.
As a rule, those with a UK visa can apply to join the Registered Traveller program. You may also qualify if you visited the UK four times (or more) during the last 24 months.
The current list of airport and rail terminals to use the service include:
- Airports: Heathrow, Gatwick, London City, Stansted, Luton, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, East Midlands, Cardiff, Southend, Edinburgh, and Glasgow.
- Train Stations: Eurostar terminals at Paris, Brussels, and Lille.
Applying for Registered Travellers Service
- You can apply online to get Registered Traveller membership. The cost for the application is £70 which would then be valid for one year. All you need is a valid passport number and the expiry date.
- It usually takes ten working days to get a decision on your application. If the application is unsuccessful they will return £50 of your payment.
- There is one more step to carry out it your application gets accepted. You must pass through the ‘other passports‘ lane next time you travel to the United Kingdom. That allows you to fill in a landing card.
- That also allows an immigration officer to check that you meet the criteria for the scheme. Providing you do, they will then inform you that you can become a full member in the program.
Registered Traveller Service Fees
Fees vary for applications and renewals. These are the current costs to apply, renew, or update the membership.
- Application to use the service for one (1) year: £70
- Renewal of Registered Traveller membership for another year: £50
- You must renew within 28 days of expiry.
- Updating passport details (e.g. if you get a new passport): £20
Note: You will need to update the details any time your immigration or visa status changes. But, this part of the service is free.
Registered Traveller Service Eligibility
To qualify for the scheme you must:
- Be at least 18 years old with an ‘eligible passport‘.
- Have a valid visa or visited the UK 4 times (or more) in the last 24 months.
Eligible Country Passports
Brunei, Hong Kong (must be a Special Administrative Region passport), Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan (you must have a personal ID number on the photo page).
Australia and New Zealand.
Canada, Mexico, and the United States of America.
South and Central America
Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, and Uruguay.