Home Rules Health Public Health › Weight Loss
10 Rules of Weight Loss

Follow these simplified principles and tips for shedding body fat and dieting. It can lead to sustainable weight loss and a healthier lifestyle.

WEIGHT LOSS RULE GUIDE: We may not have the secret pill you might have hoped for. Substantial weight loss does not occur naturally overnight.

But, there are some basic and recognised health rules which will push you in the right direction for faster results.

Weight Loss Rules

Learn how to take off weight for good and then keep it off by adopting these 10 lifestyle changes to live by and daily rule commandments of weight loss.

1. Eat a Healthy Breakfast

Eating a healthy breakfast is the proper way to start each day if you are serious about losing weight. The first morning meal after sleep jump-starts your body’s metabolism and helps you burn fat. Aim to eat nutritionist-approved weight-loss starter and you should begin seeing results sooner than you imagined.

2. Avoid Junk Food

Moving forward from a healthy starter means filling up by eating more fresh organic foods throughout the day. As a rule, avoid processed foods whenever possible and go for wholesome, natural foods. Cleaning up your diet and cutting out junk foods should reward you with enormous changes.

3. Adopt Portion Control

The recommended rules for losing weight involve more than only eating healthy foods. Put simply, you need to eat small portions each serving. That means you may need to learn about recommended meal sizes and portion-control products so you can be as accurate as possible.

4. Workout Regularly

As a rule, committing yourself to a weight loss programs is going to involve working out. Fitness and health care professional suggest working out at least five days a week and ideally for at least thirty minutes each time.

The most benefit comes when you feel the burn from intense and sweaty exercising (e.g. walking exercise). If your clothes are wet when you leave the gym then your body knows it worked hard.

5. Set Small Targets

Moving along on your weight-loss journey includes setting yourself specific and personal targets. Be smart and realistic by making small and achievable targets and you will realize how much daily progress you are making. In short, set a small target, smash through it, and then celebrate your achievement.

6. Drink More Water

Keeping your water bottle full all day long keeps your body stay hydrated and in tip-top shape steering you clear of unnecessary snacking. Dieters should maximize their water intake for weight loss by drinking about half of your body weight in fluid ounces of water (or other calorie-free beverages).

Drinking cold water provides a brief shock to your metabolism, raising it by about 30 percent so that over the course of a day, your body will burn about 100 more calories.

7. Treat Yourself

Treating yourself occasionally with a sweet treat or special meal out is an essential part of any sustainable weight-loss plan. Even so, you should be realistic and sensible about your indulgences. The 80/20 rule is a good way of keeping track on personal treats.

Stick rigidly to your diet and clean goals for 80 percent of your time which leaves you 20% wiggle room for intimate indulgence.

8. Boost Metabolism

The myth about strength training impeding weight loss can seriously mess up your results. Fact: Strength training builds muscle mass while boosting your metabolism and reshaping of your body.

9. Sleep to Recover

The proper amount of regular sleep provides you with energy for powering through your workouts and helps to curb a ravenous appetite. As a rule, those who get adequate sleep eat an average of 300 calories less than those who do not. Make sure you reward your body during the night for its hard work in the kitchen and the gym.

10. Positivity is the Key

A positive mental attitude is possibly the most important rule of losing weight. Smile often, keep a healthy sense of humor, and take life in small doses each day. Not every experience will be positive but be kind to yourself and retain a positive outlook.

Related Help Guides

Note: The NHS Digital Weight Management Programme offers free online support for adults living with obesity, diabetes, and high blood pressure. Also, the new Better Health marketing campaign helps people prevent the risks of developing serious illness and reduce the likelihood of being hospitalised with COVID-19.

Disclaimer: This website does not replace medical advice. Being overweight or obese, food intake, rates of metabolism, and levels of physical exertion vary from person to person. Consult with your doctor before dieting or heavy exercise.

10 Rules for Losing Weight in the United Kingdom