Home Rules Employment Taxation Income Tax Claim a Refund › If You Sent a Tax Return
Claim a Tax Refund after Sending a Tax Return

Find out how get a tax refund after sending a Self Assessment tax return. The process depends on whether you filed it online or you used a paper tax return.

IF YOU SENT A TAX RETURN: After sending in a tax return there are several reasons for claiming a taxation refund.

The most likely causes for paying too much tax in after filing in this way would be because:

  • You made an incorrect entry when paying your Self Assessment bill.
  • You need to change the Self Assessment tax return after you filed it.
  • You have payments on account and you stopped being self-employed.

The method you use for filing Self Assessment tax returns determines how you should claim back the money.

Get a Refund after using Tax Return Online

  1. The first step is logging into HM Revenue and Customs online account.
  2. Go to ‘Business tax account’ section and select ‘Self Assessment Details and Options’.
  3. Select ‘More Options’ from the menu on the right-hand side.
  4. Follow further instructions after clicking ‘Request a Repayment’.

Get a Refund after using Paper Tax Return

Most people use a credit or debit card to make payments when they use the paper tax return system. Thus, any refund due will get paid to the same credit or debit card.

Refunds get paid into a bank account if not. If you did not include the bank details on your tax return you will need to phone or write to HMRC for a repayment. The correspondence with HM Revenue and Customs needs to include:

  • Your UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference). You will see it written on previous tax returns.
  • You bank details (or those of your nominee). HMRC can also repay by cheque if you prefer.
  • Your reason for requiring the repayment.

Note: HM Revenue and Customs only pay refunds into bank accounts inside the United Kingdom.

What HM Revenue and Customs Do Next

The next step is to wait for HMRC to make their response. They will either:

  • Transfer the money to your credit or debit card (if that is the way you paid).
  • Transfer the money to your bank account.
  • Transfer the money to the bank account of your nominee (if you nominated another person to receive the money for you).
  • Send a cheque to you. This type of ‘payable order’ can get paid into your bank account.
  • Make contact with you to get further information.
  • Inform you that no tax refund is due and their reason for saying so.


Claim a Tax Refund: Find out how to get your money back after paying too much Income Tax.
Tax Refund after You get a Pension: How you get paid back after getting a pension or life annuity.

Claiming a Tax Refund after Sending a Tax Return in the United Kingdom