Home Rules Employment Benefits Entitlement Appeals › At the Hearing
What happens at the Tribunal Hearing

At the hearing you will need your appeal papers and any support documents used as evidence. The tribunal may share any evidence you give with all parties (including representatives).

AT THE HEARING: It is an opportunity to provide evidence and answer questions about the case.

You, and anyone else helping in your case, may get asked questions by:

  • Anyone representing you (e.g. a lawyer, an adviser, family member, or a friend).
  • The presenting officer from a government department or from a council representative.
  • A panel of experts (depending on what your case is about).
  • The tribunal judge.

There will be an interpreter present at the tribunal if you asked for one. The interpreter can only translate what happens during the hearing. They cannot represent you or offer you any legal advice.

Note: All tribunal cases, including Social Security and Child Support appeals, must follow the Social Entitlement Chamber tribunal procedure rules.

Claiming Expenses for a Hearing

You can claim for certain expenses when you attend a tribunal hearing. As a rule, cost claims relate to travel charges and loss of earnings from work.

But, you can only claim for ‘reasonable expenses’ when you go to the tribunal. Typical examples include:

  • Travelling expenses to cover the fare if you use public transport to get there.
  • Travel expenses if you drive. You can claim 12p per mile plus 2p per mile for up to two (2) passengers.
  • Meals:
    • £4.25 if it takes more than 5 hours.
    • £9.30 for more than 10 hours.
    • £13.55 for more than 12 hours.
  • Loss of earnings:
    • £38.96 if you are away from work for up to 4 hours.
    • £75.59 for 4 hours or longer.
  • Care expenses (e.g. for a childminder). You cannot claim more than the National Minimum Wage.

The clerk will help you to fill in an expenses claim form at the hearing. If you need any special help you will need to contact the tribunal in advance.

Note: You will need receipts and a letter from your employer to claim for travel expenses and a loss of earnings.

What Will Happen at the Tribunal Hearing and How to Claim Expenses