Home Rules Driving Vehicle Registration › Change Vehicle Class on V5C
Change Vehicle Details on V5C Registration

You must inform DVLA any time you make a vehicle classification change. It is the law for all registered vehicles in the United Kingdom.

UPDATE V5C REGISTRATION: This section clarifies situations when you must update your V5C registration certificate (log book).

You may need to provide written evidence for certain alterations made to a vehicle.

You can also find out how to update a V5C registration certificate and where to send V5C forms.

When Should You Update Your V5C?

All details on your vehicle registration certificate must be correct and current. That means you should update V5C and inform DVLA about:

  • Any mistakes showing on your V5C vehicle registration document.
  • All major changes made to your automobile.

Note: You cannot update V5C document to change vehicle tax class. Use this same process even if you change to an exempt tax class, such as ‘disabled’.

DVLA Changes that Need Updating

You must update V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate (log book) if you alter any of these details:

  • DVLA colour change of the vehicle or type of fuel that it uses.
  • Seating capacity.
  • The engine block or cylinder capacity (cc).
  • The vehicle body shell or chassis (modified or replaced).
  • The weight of a large van or truck (e.g. a goods vehicle or a camper van).
Some Changes Need DVLA Inspection

Following certain modifications, DVLA may inform you that they want to inspect your automobile. You must also update the V5C registration certificate after making any of these alterations:

  • The wheel plan of your vehicle.
  • A vehicle’s external appearance or body type (e.g. converting a van into a motor caravan).
  • The VIN (vehicle identification number) or chassis number.
  • A frame number for a motorbike.

Note: In some cases the DVLA will need proof of Vehicle Type Approval for registration. They will not register such vehicles without proof of approval unless it is exempt.

DVLA Evidence or Written Confirmation

DVLA need evidence or written confirmation after making certain changes or alterations. The V5C update is usually rejected if this evidence is missing.

Engine Number or Cylinder Capacity

If you change a vehicle engine number or cylinder capacity you must provide one of the following:

  • A valid receipt for the replacement engine.
  • Written evidence supplied by the manufacturer.
  • An inspection report produced for vehicle insurance purposes.
  • Written confirmation from a garage (authenticating that a change happened before you bought it).
Fuel Type

Changing the fuel type that a vehicle uses means you need to provide evidence any time:

  • You convert the existing engine (confirmed by the garage who carried out the work).
  • You install a new engine (the receipt acts as confirmation).

Weight of a Large Vehicle

Changing the weight of a large van or truck requires you to provide either:

  • A valid plating certificate.
  • A design weight certificate.
Body Type to Motor Caravan

Note: If you convert a van to a camper van (or motor caravan) you need to provide several pieces of evidence.

V5C Update Procedures

Identify any changes made by marking section 7 of the V5C. Sign the form and then mail it to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency. Remember to include any necessary evidence or written confirmation.

Use section 4 if the specific change you made is not listed in section 7. You need to add a letter that explains the specific changes you made. Send the completed V5C to DVLA with all the relevant documents.

DVLA Address to Send V5C

This section is for those who are not sure where to send V5C. Use the V5C update address DVLA, SA99 1DZ after making any of the following changes:

  • Engine size (cc) or fuel type.
  • Changing number of seats on a bus.
  • Weight of a goods vehicle.

The address for any other DVLA vehicle classification change is:

SA99 1BA

All details on your vehicle registration log book (V5C) must be up to date and correct. DVLA will contact you to confirm the changes and inform you if extra vehicle tax needs paying.

Note: They may also contact you to inspect certain changes that you made to your car or motorbike.

Note: You must inform DVLA to update your name and address. It is the law for UK registered vehicles and you could get fined for not doing so.

When to Change Vehicle Details on V5C: Update V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate