VEHICLE & LICENCE: You must take a vehicle for Driver CPC module 3 test. There are specific rules on vehicles used for the driving test.
Thus, the lorry, bus, or coach you drive (and trailer if used) must meet all the regulations.
After you book the Driver CPC part 3 test you will need to take one of these driver licences with you:
- Great Britain photocard driving licence.
- Northern Ireland photocard driving licence and paper counterpart.
- EU photocard driving licence (and paper counterpart if you have it).
Note: You may not have a photocard driving licence. In this case, take your paper driver’s licence and a valid passport. Failing to have the right documents means they will cancel your test and you will lose the fee.
How CPC Test 3 Works
The practical test lasts for about one and a half hours (90 minutes) and will include:
- Vehicle safety questions
- Practical road driving
- Off-road exercises
Vehicle Safety Questions
During this part of the test you get asked vehicle safety questions on either:
When you perform the off-road exercises you will:
- Make an ‘S’ shaped reverse into a bay.
- Show the uncoupling and recoupling procedure (if taking the test with a trailer).
What happens if You Fail the CPC Driving Ability Tests?
You can go ahead and book another practical driving test straight away. But, you must wait at least three (3) clear working days before you can resit the tests.
Driver CPC Part 3 Driving Ability Result
The examiner will inform you whether you passed the exam after taking the practical test. They will provide feedback and explain how you performed.
To pass the driving ability test you will need to make:
- No more than fifteen (15) driving faults.
- No serious or dangerous faults.
DVSA Cancelled Tests
It is uncommon but the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency may cancel the test at short notice. In this case, you can apply for a refund to cover your out-of-pocket expenses.
Practical Road Driving
During the practical road driving section of CPC module 3 test, an examiner will watch and evaluate how you:
- Use the vehicle controls.
- Move the vehicle away at an angle, uphill, and downhill.
- Make a controlled stop.
- Use the vehicle mirrors.
- Give appropriate signals.
- Show awareness and anticipation on the intentions of other road users.
- Manage your progress and control your vehicle speed.
- Deal with road hazards.
- Select a safe place to stop the vehicle.
This part of the driving test will include 10 minutes of independent driving. The aim is to test your ability to drive in a safe manner while making independent decisions on the road.
ALSO IN THIS SECTION
Becoming a Lorry Driver: Bus and Lorry driver qualifications and licence procedures overview section.
Driver CPC Exemptions: Check some situations when the full Driver CPC qualification is not required.
Driver CPC Part 1 Test Theory: The process for booking part 1 test theory and how the exam works.
Driver CPC Part 2 Case Studies: How to book the part 2 test case studies and how the exam works.
CPC Module 4 Practical Test: Find out how to book CPC part 4 test on vehicle safety demonstration.
After You Have Qualified: Check the process for getting a Driver CPC card and how to replace one.