Keep Your Company Information Private

There is a way to keep your home address out of the company records that people can search. Check how to stop Companies House giving out your home address and who can apply.

Using Home Address as a Service Address

Many limited companies use their home address as a service address (to receive letters of ‘correspondence’).

Even so, you can ask Companies House to keep some of your company information out of the public domain. As a rule, they can:

  • Remove the home address from the register.
  • Withhold the private address from credit reference agencies (some rules and restrictions apply in certain circumstances).

Note: You would need to make two separate applications and make two separate payments. But, you cannot ask Companies House to remove your company registered office address (even if it is your home address).

Remove Address from the Public Register

In most cases, people can view home addresses on the public register and on certain documents (e.g. forms used to appoint a director). But, you can ask Companies House to remove your home address from searches made by the public.

To make this request, you would need to find out which of the documents contain your home address. Once you find your company on the Companies House register you would be able to check.

The cost to stop Companies House from providing your home address is £32 (per document). You would need to send an email to ‘[email protected]’ to request application form SR01.

The Registrar of Companies
PO Box 4082
CF14 3WE

Note: The application form also provides you with the correct return address and the relevant details for making the payment.

Get Address Withheld from Credit Reference Agencies

The work you do would need to put you at risk of intimidation or violence to ask to have your address withheld from credit reference agencies. Thus, you would need to provide Companies House with some proof, such as:

  • A police incident number (if you got attacked).
  • Documents that provide evidence of a threat or an attack (e.g. photographs or video recordings).
  • Evidence that shows possible disruption or targeting (e.g. by activists or animal rights groups).
  • Evidence that proves you work for an organisation whose activities put you at risk (e.g. the Secret Intelligence Service).

The cost to ask to have your address withheld from credit reference agencies is £100. You would need to send an email to ‘[email protected]’ to request an application form.

You can also make a request to get the form from Companies House by telephone. The application form provides you with a return address and the details for payment.

Companies House
Telephone: 0303 1234 500
Monday to Friday: 8:30am to 6pm
Call charges to 0303 numbers.

How to Stop Companies House from Giving Out Your Home Address