Home Rules Business Farming › Registering a Farm Vehicle
How to Register a Farm Vehicle

Most farm vehicles need registering with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency. This section explains how to register a farm vehicle and get the right approval for DVLA.

FARM VEHICLE REGISTRATION: The simple definition of a farm truck is one ‘designated for use in agriculture’.

Agricultural vehicles include a large range of models with varying uses. Small pickup trucks and tractors are the most popular types of vehicles used in farming.

A tractor is also used as agricultural equipment. That means it is a kind of machinery used to help with the farming business.

There are certain requirements to register and tax a new or a second hand tractor. It may need specialist vehicle approval and certification.

Note: All registration documents and any required proof of approval must get sent to the DVLA.

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
Telephone: 0300 790 6802
Swansea SA99 1BE

DVLA Agricultural Vehicle Registration Documents

You need extra documents for the first time registration of new category T1, T2 and T3 tractors. Registering a farm vehicle of this type means it will need either:

Note: The CoC must be valid for DVLA registration. That means someone acting under the control of the manufacturer assembled the tractor.

What if you want to register a farm vehicle such as the new T4 and T5 category tractors (or used tractors for the first time)? In this case you would need to prove the vehicle has either:

Certificates of Approval

A certificate of approval is not required if the farm vehicle already has ECWVTA. What happens if not? HSE issue certificates of approval for each type of tractor supplied in the United Kingdom.

Note: UK driving laws restrict vehicles without an ECWVTA or a HSE certificate of approval. You cannot ‘legally‘ sell them, use them for work, or drive them on a public road.

The Health and Safety Executive has for more information on how to register a tractor cab certificate of approval.

Health and Safety Executive
Telephone: 01604 738300
Find out about call charges.

Agricultural Vehicle Registration in the United Kingdom