VOLLEYBALL REGULATIONS: The game is a popular and competitive activity. You can play indoors or on sand for beach volleyball rules.
The versatile and recreational sport is undeniably exciting. Volleyball is fast flowing and full of explosive action rallies.
The game has several rules’ variations. Even so, it is widely believed they have been in circulation since 1895.
But the pinnacle of volleyball is most represented by its inclusion in the Olympics.
Volleyball’s inclusion in the Olympics represents one of the pinnacles of the game. The sport of volleyball entered its first Olympic Games in 1964.
Nowadays, it has a global following. The best players from most nations compete professionally all around the world.
Rules of Volleyball
Object of playing Volleyball Game
The main aim in the game is to hit or send the volleyball over the net. Players try to ground, or bounce, the ball in their opponents’ court half (volleying the ball with hands).
An opposing team must try to prevent the ball from bouncing. Then they attempt to volley the ball back over the net which starts a rally.
Players in Volleyball
Volleyball rules and regulations allow two teams to play the game. Each team can have no more than 6 players on the court at any one time. At the time of writing there are no professional mixed sex teams.
Each team can have 6 substitutes. You can use any of the 6 volleyball substitutes throughout the entire game.
Substitutions may occur at any time. But any returning players can only get swapped for the player that replaced them.
Players take their position in the attacking zone (close to the net) or in the defensive zone (towards the rear of the court). Zonal players rotate one position clockwise after every point.
Basic Rules of Volleyball UK for Equipment
Volleyball court rules state that it should be rectangular in shape. The court should measure 18 x 9 meters with an out of bounds perimeter area around the outlines.
A net 2.43 meters high divides the pitch into two separate halves. The volleyball ball measures 8 inches in diameter and weighs between 9 and 10 ounces, as a rule.
Volleyball Regulations for Serving
The ball gets put in play with a service and hit by the server over the net to the opponents.
Players must serve from behind the baseline using either an over or underarm action but hit with only the hand. The server joins their team in-play and battles for the point once the serve gets played.
Basic Volleyball Rules for Scoring
- The ball must hit the ground within the outlined section in your opponents half to score a point. The point scored can also occur off either team’s serve.
- You also score points if your opponent fails to return it to the outlined section within your half. The same volleyball scoring rules apply if the ball hits into the net from a return.
- In Volleyball rule UK, the team winning a rally scores a point (Rally Point System).
- Winning a rally gains you a point and the right to serve. All players will then rotate one position clockwise afterwards.
- Volleyball regulation games get played to 25 points but teams must win by two clear points. Thus, the game continues if the scores reach 24-24.
General Volleyball Rules and Regulations
- Each team can use 3 hits (passes) to return the ball. That excludes the block contact. But, no player can hit the ball twice in succession.
- The defensive team tries to block or return the ball – also hitting it no more than three times.
- The rally continues until the ball:
- Is grounded on the playing court.
- Goes ‘out of bounds‘.
- Does not get returned within the rules.
- If the ball hits the boundary line then the ball is deemed to be in-play. The defensive team can jump and try to block the ball returning to their side of the court.
- If a block attempt is made and the ball bounces in their opponents half, then a point gets awarded. If, after the block, the ball bounces out then a point gets awarded to the opposing team.
- Each team gets up to two 30 second timeouts per set. That resets back to 2 timeouts after each set no matter how many have got before.
Basic Rules of Volleyball UK on Violations
Volleyball regulation violations may get called for any the following infringements:
- Stepping over the base line when serving the ball.
- If the ball hits the net and fails to get over the net (hitting the net and going over is legal).
- Players are not allowed to carry, palm, or run with the ball or touch the net with any part of their body.
- The ball cannot travel under the net and players cannot reach over the net to hit the ball.
Regulations of Volleyball Officials
The regulations of volleyball are usually officiated by two volleyball referees. The first referee is usually designated as the ‘up official‘ or head referee.
Winning a Game of Volleyball
Winning the game means you have scored more points than your opponents. As a rule, the first team to reach the best of 3 or 5 sets are the winners in volleyball games.
Advanced Regulations in Volleyball Rules UK
Advanced Volleyball Rules
A-Z Sport Rules and Regulations: A list of popular indoor and outdoor sport categories.
Beach Volleyball Rules UK: How do they play barefoot volleyball in a skimpy bathing suit?
Seated Volleyball Rules UK: Master the basic regulations of the popular Paralympic sport.
Weird Sports Rules: A concise list of weird and wonderful sports games around the world.
FIVB Volleyball Rules 2022 PDF: [Free Download Option]