Home UK Rules Lifestyle Education and Learning › Replacement Exam Certificates
Request a Replacement Exam Certificate

Providing a complete and accurate application will help to speed up the process of getting a replacement exam certificate or certified statement of results.

This guide explains how to request a replacement exam certificate if you lose the original and what to do if your old exam board no longer exists.

How to Contact the Right Exam Board (UK)

The first step for replacing original examination certificates is contacting the relevant exam board that holds the results.

But, you cannot replace all types of exam certificates, including:

  • CSE
  • GCSE
  • O level or A level

Instead, the exam board will send a ‘certified statement of results’. You will be able to use this document in place of an original certificate if needed (e.g. as part of a university application).

Some of the UK examination boards also offer replacements for other kinds of qualifications. But, be prepared to prove your identity as part of the process – and they may charge a fee for issuing it.

Note: You may find that some of the older examination boards no longer exist. If this is the case, check the lists below to determine which one to contact instead.

Exam Boards in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland

The school or college will provide you with further details and information if you are unsure which exam board is holding your results.

Note: The ‘Save My Exams‘ website has practical resources to help improve your grades with more than 10,000 questions organised by topic (e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Physics).

If an Exam Board No Longer Exists

Contact the appropriate examination board listed below to request a replacement certificate or get a certified statement of results in circumstances where the old organisation no longer exists.

Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA) if yours was:

  • Associated Examinations Board (AEB)
  • Associated Lancashire Schools Examining Board (ALSEB)
  • Joint Matriculation Board (JMB)
  • Northern Examining Association (NEA)
  • Northern Examinations and Assessment Board (NEAB)
  • North Western Regional Examining Board (NWREB)
  • South East Regional Examinations Board (SEREB)
  • South Western (Regional) Examinations Board (SWExB)
  • Southern Examining Group (SEG)
  • West Yorkshire and Lindsey Regional Examinations Board (TWYLREB)
  • Yorkshire and Humberside Regional Examinations Board (YHREB)

Council for Curriculum and Examinations Assessment (CCEA) if yours was:

  • Northern Ireland School Examinations Council (NISEC)
  • Northern Ireland School Examinations and Assessment Council (NISEAC)

Pearson Edexcel if your old exam board was:

  • Business Education Council (BEC)
  • Business and Technology Education Council (BTEC)
  • Education Development International (EDI)
  • Joint Committee for Business Studies and Public Administration (JCBSPA)
  • London Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI)
  • London East Anglia Group (LEAG)
  • London Regional Examining Board (LREB)
  • Metropolitan and Middlesex Regional Examining Boards (M&MREB)
  • Technician Education Council (TEC)
  • University Entrance and Schools Examinations Council (UESEC)
  • University of London Examinations and Assessment Council (ULEAC)
  • University of London Schools Examination Board (ULSEB)
Oxford, Cambridge and RSA Exams (OCR) if yours was:

  • East Midland Regional Examinations Board (EMREB)
  • Midland Examining Group (MEG)
  • Oxford and Cambridge Examinations and Assessment Council (OCEAC)
  • Oxford and Cambridge Schools Examination Board (OCSEB)
  • Royal Society of Arts (RSA)
  • Southern Regional Examinations Board (SREB)
  • Southern Universities Joint Board for Schools Examinations (SUJB)
  • University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (UCLES)
  • University of Oxford Delegacy of Local Examinations (UODLE)
  • West Midlands Examinations Board (WMEB)

Note: Pearson Edexcel and OCR hold some of the same records. So, you can contact either if your exam board was the East Anglian Examinations Board (EAEB).

How to Get a Replacement Exam Certificate in United Kingdom