TB TEST: Tuberculosis screening laws in the United Kingdom are strict. If you apply for a UK visa you will need to have a tuberculosis (TB) test:
- If you will stay in the UK for longer than 6 months.
- If you are a resident in any of the listed countries.
If these conditions apply to your application you will get a chest x-ray to test for tuberculosis.
You may need to give a sputum sample if the result of the x-ray is not clear. Samples of sputum get tested on the phlegm coughed up from inside the lungs.
The clinic will give you a certificate if the tests show you do not have TB. The certificate is valid for 6 months from the date of the x-ray.
Note: You should include the TB certificate with your application for a UK visa.
TB Test Exemption for UK Visa
There are several situations whereby a TB test is not required. You do not need to get tested for tuberculosis if:
- You are a diplomat who’s accredited to the United Kingdom.
- You are a returning resident to the UK and have not been abroad for more than 2 years.
- You lived in a country where TB screening is not required by the UK (for at least 6 months). You must not have been away from that particular country for no more than 6 months.
Child TB Test for Visa
All children must get examined by a clinician. They will decide whether the child needs a chest x-ray. As a rule, children under 11 years old will not need to get their chest x-rayed.
The child must visit an approved clinic. They will also need to complete a health questionnaire.
You will get the certificate if the clinician determines the child does not have TB.
Tuberculosis Test for Pregnant Women
There are several options for pregnant women who need the test for tuberculosis. The choice is between:
- Using an x-ray that has an extra shield. The additional shield protects you and any unborn children in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters.
- Giving a sputum test (coughing phlegm from your lungs). This method may have an extra fee and the results may take up to 8 weeks.
- Waiting to have the test after the delivery of the baby.
They may also accept an x-ray if it got taken within the last 3 months. But, it must have been at one of the UK-approved screening clinics.
If you use this method the clinician at the approved clinic needs to review your chest x-ray. The clinician will then issue a certificate for you if the test is clear. Remember to send it with your UK visa application.
Listed Countries for a TB Test to Enter the United Kingdom
Note: The test must take place at a clinic approved by the UK Home Office. Check the GOV.UK website for a list of clinics and guidance in your country. But, not all countries have approved testing centers. That means you may need to get tested in a neighbouring country.