The UK Rules
18 to 21 Year Olds

Housing Costs for 18 to 21 Years Olds (UC)

Some 18 to 21 year olds who claim Universal Credit lost entitlement for help towards their housing costs. Check to see if you can get help to cover your rental payment and some service charges.

Will You Qualify for a Housing Payment?

The changes were first introduced in April 2017. It meant that some people aged between 18 and 21 will no longer qualify for the housing costs element.

Note: The change only applies to claimants in Universal Credit full service areas.

You must already be getting Universal Credit if you rent a home in a 'live service' area to get the housing payment.

Using the Citizens Advice eligibility checker will show you whether you are living in a 'live service' or a 'full service' area.

The eligibility criteria for Universal Credit changes if you rent a home in a 'full service' area. You would qualify for a housing payment if at least one of these apply to your situation:

Note: Further guidance explains the rules for housing costs for 18 to 21 year olds getting Universal Credit since the 1st of April 2017.

What UC Housing Payments Help to Pay

Having eligibility for the 'Universal Credit housing costs payment' could help you to pay for:

Getting Help to Manage Your Rent

Check to see if you qualify for other financial support or help managing your rent. The system can make direct payments to your landlord. In some cases, you might get an advance, a loan, or a hardship payment.

Help with Housing Costs for 18 to 21 Years Olds Claiming Universal Credit