The UK Rules
DVLA V750 Form and V778 Form

DVLA V750 Certificate and V778 Retention

This guide explains how to renew a private number when it is not in use on a vehicle. As a rule, the right to use a private registration number needs renewing every 10 years.

RENEW V750 CERTIFICATE: Renewing the right to keep a personalised number must take place before the retention certificate expires.

Some private number renewals are more frequent than others. Check the V750 or DVLA V778 document if you purchased a cherished registration before 2015.

There are several methods for transferring a registration or renewing it. It will depend on which certificate you have assigned to your vehicle.

As a rule, the appropriate procedures for showing that you can assign a personalised registration number is to receive either:

DVLA Renew V750 Certificate or V778 Retention

What happens if a private number is not assigned to a vehicle and the V750 certificate of entitlement is about to run out? In this case the Driver Vehicle and Licensing Agency will send a reminder letter or an email.

You can renew the certificate for up to 10 years and it is free to do so. That means the owner does not lose the right to assign it to a vehicle.

Renew V750 Online

You will need a DVLA personalised registration online account if you choose to renew a V750 certificate via the web. If you do not have an existing account, creating an online account means you can then:

Follow UK Rules for 2019 Updates!

Facebook LogoGoogle PlusPinterest LogoTwitter Logo

DVLA Retention Renewal by Post

The first step of postal retention renewal is filling in the correct sections on the DVLA V750 form or the V778 form. Send in either the V750 or the V778 to the address written on the form.

Replace Stolen or Lost V750 DVLA or V778 Document

There is a specific process to replace a lost or stolen V750 certificate of entitlement or V778 retention document.

Form to Renew DVLA V750 Certificate of Entitlement or V778 Retention DocumentThe person who has the right to use the number is the 'grantee'. The name of the grantee will be on the V778 form or V750 form.

Only the actual grantee can send a letter and request a replacement for lost or stolen documents. Allow up to 4 weeks to receive the replacement V750 certificate or V778 retention certificate.

DVLA Personalised Registrations
Swansea, SA99 1DS

Transfer Private Number to Someone Else

In some cases you might choose to put your private registration number on someone else's vehicle. The transfer can take place by post or online.

After you give a private registration retention to another person they can choose to take the number off the vehicle.

Transfer By Post

Complete section 2 of the V778 or V750 and mail it to DVLA. Remember to send the V5C logbook of the vehicle that will have the private number registered on it.

The relevant postal address is on the form. DVLA send a replacement logbook for the vehicle with the new personal number assigned to it.

Transfer Online

Follow these steps to assign your personal number online to someone else's vehicle. Enter the details from that vehicle V5C logbook into the system. DVLA send a replacement logbook for the vehicle with the new personal number assigned to it.

What Happens if the Nominee Dies?

The grantee of the plate on retention can change the nominee if they die. Send a letter of explanation along with the V750 or V778 to:

DVLA Personalised Registrations
C2E, Swansea, SA99 1DN

Change Name and Address V750 or V778

Changing the name and address on a V750 or V778 is usually done by post. The digital system also allows the change of address for a V750 using a DVLA personalised registration online account.

Change V750 Name and Address by Post

Return the V750 or the V778 with an accompanying letter confirming the new name or address. Send both documents to DVLA Personalised Registrations address.

Note: Send a signed letter with some proof of your name or address if you do not have the originals.

Copy documents to prove your address can be a:

Copy documents to prove your name can be a:

DVLA Fixing Errors and Omissions

Return the certificate or retention to DVLA Personalised Registrations if there are any mistakes. Add a relevant support letter with an explanation identifying the errors. Common errors include name or address misspellings.

Death of Grantee (person with right to use)

The executor of the will, or the person who had the number willed to them (beneficiary), can ask to either:

Giving Up the Right to Use a Private Number Plate

A refund is available if a grantee leaves you a V778 retention or V750 certificate. Send the completed form to DVLA Personalised Registrations. The section to tick off will be either:

Keeping or Transferring a Private Number Plate

Fill in the application to transfer or retain V317 form if you:

There is a fee of £80 for this service. Send off the form and log book to DVLA. Remember to include the death certificate or any one of the following documents:

DVLA Renew or Replace V750 Certificate of Entitlement or V778 Retention Document