HomeRulesDrivingLicences › Changing the Name, Title, or Gender
Driving Licence Change of Name

This page explains how to change the name, a title, or the gender on a driving licence. Check how to complete form D1 and what supporting documents you must send to DVLA.

CHANGING NAME: You will need to send several documents to DVLA to change your name or gender including:

  • Your old driving licence (paper or photocard).
  • The appropriate application form (D1 or D2).
  • Any supporting documents required by the DVLA.

Common reasons to make a driving licence change of name is getting married or divorced. But, the same process applies if you want to change your name title (e.g. Ms. to Dr.). There is no need to send any evidence unless it is a hereditary title (e.g. titles of nobility).

There is no cost to change the name or your gender on a driving licence in the United Kingdom. You can continue to drive while waiting for the new licence to arrive.

Note: Changing your name on your drivers licence means you will need to update your V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book). The process of changing the name on a driving licence differs in Northern Ireland.

Change of Name Application Form

Depending on your situation you will need to fill in either:

  • D1 driving form titled ‘Application for a driving licence’ for a car or motorbike licence.
  • Form D2 titled ‘Application for a lorry/bus licence’ for a lorry or bus licence.

Note: You can order the relevant form direct from the DVLA in Swansea or get one from most large Post Office branches.

Once you have the correct form, fill it in and then send it to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency. You will also need to send:

Note: You must also send a recent passport-style photograph if you have the old style paper driving licence.

Changing the Photo at the Same Time

If you want to change the photograph at the same time as a driving licence name change you will need to send:

Note: There are no drivers licence fees for people aged 70 or older or those with a medical short period licence.

Unable to Send the Old Driving Licence?

Your old licence may get destroyed, lost, or stolen. You can still apply to change the name or gender on your driving licence. But, you must explain what happened to the old licence. You can add this particular information on the form when you fill it in. You will need to send a cheque or postal order for £20 made payable to DVLA with the application.

Application Address for New Car or Motorbike Driving Licence

SA99 1BN

Application Address for New Lorry or Bus Driving Licence

SA99 1BR

Note: The DVLA try to send new photocard driving licences within three (3) weeks. But, it can take longer if they need to check any medical details or personal information. Allow at least 3 weeks before contacting the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

Change Driving Licence Name or Gender in United kingdom