The UK Rules
Register for Gambling Tax

Register for Gambling Tax Online

Information in this section covers the process of registering for gambling tax. The service explains how to register to pay gambling taxes online or by postal methods in the United Kingdom.

You may be required to register at HMRC for General Betting Duty (GBD), Pool Betting Duty (PBD) or Remote Gaming Duty (RGD).

Registration for gambling tax is mandatory if you (either situation applies):

You can also use the same service for managing the details of agents and representatives (if you use them).

But, being already registered to pay GBD, PBD, or RGD would mean you cannot register for the online Gambling Tax Service.

Note: Some online services can be slow to use during the busiest times. But, you can check service availability and issues to see if there are any problems.

Information Needed to Register

Before registering to pay gambling taxes online you should prepare some documentation, such as:

Note: It is best to read the online service guide for General Betting Duty, Pool Betting Duty and Remote Gaming Duty before you sign in on HMRC website.

Registering as a Group

As the Group Lead Member (GLM) of a corporate body you will be able to register as a group. You would need to provide extra details during the application process. Prepare to have information on group members, partners, and representatives ready to enter into the system.

You will be able to save the application at any time (up to thirty days). That means you can go back to it later to finish the application.

Note: If you need to register for more than one type of gambling tax you will need to complete the registration for all of them at the same time.

Register for Gambling Tax by Post

The Gambling Commission licenses and regulates the people and the businesses that provide gambling in Great Britain - including the National Lottery.

You will be able to register for gambling tax by post if you need a Remote Operating licence from the Gambling Commission. Write a letter to HM Revenue and Customs and make a request for:

HMRC National Registration Unit
HM Revenue and Customs
National Registration Unit
Portcullis House
21 India Street
G2 4PZ

Registering to Pay Gambling Tax in the United Kingdom