NETBALL TIMEKEEPER UK: So, what is the exact role of a timekeeper in netball?
Their duties and responsibilities focus on several functions. The timekeeper in netball matches must monitor accurate timekeeping.
The job also includes signaling break time stoppages and pacing a flowing tempo in the game.
A netball time keeper has chief responsibilities and clock duties. They include informing the players and the netball officials when the game needs to stop.
Their role also extends to announcing whether the match needs to use extra time. Scorers use an electronic signaling device. As a rule, it is standard netball equipment for the duties of timekeepers.
Timekeepers are also responsible for notifying ruling umpires of time countdowns at the end of stoppages. Thus, they would be assigned to ‘hold time’ if instructed to do so by the match umpire.
Role of a Timekeeper in Netball
- The first whistle blast signals the beginning of the match. The netball timekeeper shall commence the timing of the game after the umpire blows the whistle.
- Extra duties for timekeepers in netball mean they should also adjudicate the official times during the game. This would include any time allowed for illnesses, injuries, and for blood stoppages.
- A netball timekeeper should signal (electronically if possible) to the umpire at the completion of each quarter or half.
- They are also responsible for notifying the umpire when there are thirty (30) seconds remaining. They follow this up with another notice shortly after as an advisory when ten (10) seconds remain:
- Before the game starts.
- At the completion of an interval or a stoppage.
- During any subsequent stoppage for a player injury or illness (see netball rules 7.1 and 7.2 Blood Policy).
- All netball timekeepers should hold time when they get instructed or signaled to do so by the umpire.
- A short blast on the whistle from the umpire signals the end or restart of play for holding time.
- Learn how to use the ‘odds and evens‘ scoring system in netball matches. It gets used to record goals scored and call the next center pass.