The UK Rules
Replacement Exam Certificates

Request a Replacement Exam Certificate

Providing a complete and accurate application will help to speed up the process of getting a replacement exam certificate or certified statement of results.

This guide explains how to request a replacement exam certificate if you lose the original and what to do if your old exam board no longer exists.

How to Contact the Right Exam Board (UK)

The first step for replacing original examination certificates is contacting the relevant exam board that holds the results.

But, you cannot replace all types of exam certificates, including:

Instead, the exam board will send a 'certified statement of results'. You will be able to use this document in place of an original certificate if needed (e.g. as part of a university application).

Some of the UK examination boards also offer replacements for other kinds of qualifications. But, be prepared to prove your identity as part of the process - and they may charge a fee for issuing it.

Note: You may find that some of the older examination boards no longer exist. If this is the case, check the lists below to determine which one to contact instead.

Exam Boards in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland

The school or college will provide you with further details and information if you are unsure which exam board is holding your results.

Note: The 'Save My Exams' website has practical resources to help improve your grades with more than 10,000 questions organised by topic (e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Physics).

If an Exam Board No Longer Exists

Contact the appropriate examination board listed below to request a replacement certificate or get a certified statement of results in circumstances where the old organisation no longer exists.

Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA) if yours was:

Council for Curriculum and Examinations Assessment (CCEA) if yours was:

Pearson Edexcel if your old exam board was:

Oxford, Cambridge and RSA Exams (OCR) if yours was:

Note: Pearson Edexcel and OCR hold some of the same records. So, you can contact either if your exam board was the East Anglian Examinations Board (EAEB).

How to Get a Replacement Exam Certificate in United Kingdom