The UK Rules
Courts and Sentencing

Courts and Sentencing or Tribunals

This page lists the circumstances for going to Court in England and Wales. The guide has extra information on Courts and Sentencing with guidance relating to Appeals and Tribunals.

ENGLISH COURTS: Specialist information about attending courts and paying fines. Find out the procedure for appealing a sentence, jury service, and tribunals.

Crown Court

The Crown Court is a single entity sitting in court centres across England and Wales. Crown Courts deal with the most serious of criminal cases.

County Court

County Courts deal with civil cases or non-criminal matters. As a rule it is a County Court that handles cases for individuals or businesses that have had their rights infringed.

Family Law Courts

There are different types of Family Court. They handle parental disputes and local authority intervention for child protection.

Family Law Courts also deal with decrees relating to divorce. They handle adoption cases and financial support for children after divorce. Some aspects of domestic violence will also get heard in a Family Law Court.

Magistrates' Court

As a rule all criminal court cases start in a magistrates' court. More than 90% of affairs will get completed therein. The most serious of criminal offences get passed on to the Crown Court. A guilty defendant will get sentenced in a magistrates' court or they will go for full trial with a judge and jury.

A to Z Guide of UK Court System

Antisocial Behaviour Order GuideAntisocial Behaviour Punishment

ANTI SOCIAL ACTIVITIES: The guide explains why and how you can get punishment for antisocial behaviour. Check what will happen if you fail to follow the rules.

COMMUNITY SENTENCES: A court judge can choose to hand out a community sentence instead of a custodial one. Check the rules of community sentences and how Community Payback works.

Appeal a Sentence or Conviction GuideAppeal a Sentence or Conviction

CROWN COURT APPEALS: In some cases you can appeal a verdict by a Crown Court in United Kingdom. The page explains how to appeal a criminal conviction or sentence.

GET A SENTENCE REVIEWED: You can ask a Crown Court to review an unduly lenient sentence in England and Wales. Check the process to follow if you think someone's sentence is too low.

MAGISTRATE COURT APPEALS: In some cases you can appeal a verdict by a Magistrates' Court in the United Kingdom. This page explains how to appeal a criminal conviction or sentence.

Follow UK Rules for 2019 Updates!

Facebook LogoGoogle PlusPinterest LogoTwitter Logo

Being Charged With a Crime GuideBeing Charged With a Crime

YOUR RIGHTS: What happens after being charged with a crime? The page explains the police procedure if you get charged with a crime in the United Kingdom.

The Court Funds OfficeCourt Funds Office

CFO: The Court Funds Office functions as the banking service for the courts in England and Wales. It accounts for money paid into and out of court and looks after any investments made with it.

Types of Criminal Courts UK GuideCriminal Courts

COURT STATUS: View a list of Crown Court cases and hearings each day on the daily court status. The facility at '' allows you to check progress on the court lists.

TYPES OF COURTS: Find out which crimes different criminal courts deal with and the different levels of sentences they can give out in the United Kingdom.

A Guide to Becoming Someone's Deputy in the United KingdomDeputies

BECOME A DEPUTY: Deputies can make decisions for people who lack mental capacity. The section explains how to become a deputy and function with Court of Protection authorisation.

Going to Court GuideGoing to Court

EMERGENCY ORDER: You can make an urgent or an emergency application to the Court of Protection. It would grant you permission to make decisions for someone who lacks mental capacity.

GIVING EVIDENCE: You have rights while testifying in court as a victim or witness and giving evidence. Find out how to prepare, what to expect, and what support you can get.

PROTECTION ORDER: Do you have concerns about someone's personal welfare or property? You can apply for a one-off decision from the Court of Protection in the United Kingdom.

USING AN INTERPRETER: People with language barriers can get an interpreter at a court or a tribunal. Find out how to ask for an interpreter and when a friend or family member can be your translator.

Find a Legal Adviser GuideLegal Aid or Legal Adviser

CIVIL LEGAL ADVICE: CLA is part of legal aid in England and in Wales. Check to see if you qualify for free and confidential advice from Civil Legal Advice.

HELP WITH COURT FEES: Check how to apply for help with court fees or get help towards the cost of a tribunal. Those who qualify may not have to pay any fee at all or get a reduction on the costs.

LEGAL ADVISERS: You can search online by name or postcode to find a legal adviser or solicitor in your area. For example the Law Society lists legal advisers in England or Wales.

LEGAL AID UK: Check to see if you can get legal aid to help pay for legal advice or representation in court. The section explains the eligibility criteria and what you could get.

UNCLAIMED FUNDS: The Court Funds Office holds onto certain funds until it can get paid to the rightful owner. Check out how to find and claim money held in a court account.

Miscarriage of Justice UK Compensation Claims GuideMiscarriage of Justice

MOJAS GUIDE: A miscarriage of justice is the law court conviction and punishment of an innocent person for a crime they did not commit. Find out how to make a claim for compensation if your conviction got overturned.

Power of Attorney UK GuidePower of Attorney

MAKING DECISIONS: You can make decisions on behalf of someone if the person appoints you. Find out how to make decisions for others and how to check if a person has mental capacity.

POA GUIDE: Anyone with mental capacity can grant a power of attorney. So, what is power of attorney and how does the authorisation work in legal and financial matters.

Employment Tribunal GuideTribunals

APPEAL EAT DECISION: There are several reasons why you might appeal to the Employment Appeal Tribunal. Check the grounds of appeal if you feel there was a legal problem or a mistake.

COURT FINDER: Get information on courts in England and Wales using the government online court and tribunal finder facility. Some non-devolved tribunals in Scotland and Northern Ireland are also listed on the search tool.

EMPLOYMENT TRIBUNAL: Tribunals are part of the courts system. The court conducts an employment tribunal and a hearing to deal with workplace disputes made by employees.

MENTAL HEALTH: You can apply to the Mental Health Tribunal to get someone discharged. Check how to appeal, what happens at a mental health tribunal hearing, and what to do if you lose the case.

Video Conferencing in Courtrooms GuideVideo Conferencing in Court

VIDEO LINK IN COURT: Video Conferencing in courtrooms allows people to involve themselves in court proceedings from a remote location. A witness may then give their evidence via a video link to the court with a screen and a camera inside the courtroom.

Courts and Sentencing Guide: Information about Tribunals in the United Kingdom