The UK Rules
Naturalisation Certificates

Replacing a UK Citizenship Certificate

There will be a fee to order a replacement registration or naturalisation certificate. The same fee would also apply to correct a mistake on a UK citizenship certificate if it was your error.

The information in this section explains which application forms to use and the current fees. Check how to apply online and which supporting documents you need for postal applications.

Citizenship from the 1st of October 1986

The actual date you became a citizen determines how to order a certificate.

Replace a Lost Certificate (or damaged)

The cost to replace a lost or damaged certificate is £250. You can either:

Note: If you not have access to a computer (or you are not confident using one) you can get help by telephone or by email to complete the online form.

Help Completing the Form Online
Text: 'VISA' to 07537 416 944
Telephone: 03333 445 675
Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm

There are three basic steps to follow if you want to apply for a citizenship certificate replacement by post:

  1. Download and complete Form NC to apply for a replacement certificate of registration or naturalisation as a British citizen.
  2. Fill in the payment slip for citizenship applications (e.g. the correct fee for a duplicate certificate). Payment options include credit or debit card or by cheque.
  3. Send both of the completed forms to this address at UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
Department 102
The Capital
New Hall Place
L3 9PP

Important InformationYou must notify the police if your citizenship certificate has been stolen.

How to Correct a Mistake on a Certificate

There are three basic steps to follow for correcting mistakes on a citizenship certificate using postal methods:

  1. Download and complete Form NC to apply for the correction of a registration or naturalisation certificate (see above).
  2. Send the completed form along with the original certificate to Department 1 address at UKVI.
  3. You will get a letter from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) if there is a charge. A fee of £250 would be due if you made the mistake on the certificate.
Department 1
The Capital
New Hall Place
L3 9PP

Citizenship Prior to 1st of October 1986

You can request a search for a certificate of British citizenship 1949-1986 via The National Archives. You would then be able to order a certified copy for:

Note: People who became a British citizen before October 1986 cannot get a replacement certificate from UKVI. But, you can contact UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) for further assistance in matters such as these.

Replace or Correct a Naturalisation Certificate in United Kingdom