The UK Rules

Documents for Gender Recognition

Several factors determine what documents you need to provide for the application. You must also send a report that includes the details of any treatment you had.

REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION: Sending certain documents and medical reports is mandatory when you apply. It will depend on:

No matter which route you use you must fill in the appropriate statutory declaration:

Note: As a rule, you will need to send the original documents. The Gender Recognition Panel will return most of them after looking at the application. But, they will not return the statutory declarations.

Were You Ever Married or in a Civil Partnership?

These are the documents needed for Gender Recognition Certificate for any of the application routes (if they are relevant):

Note: Your spouse must fill in 'form T469: Statutory declaration for the spouse of an applicant' if you want to stay married.

Using the Standard or Alternative Track

All the application routes require you to send:

Proof of Living in an Acquired Gender

You will need to prove you lived in your acquired gender. It must cover the minimum required time (e.g. two (2) years for the standard route). As a rule, it will include sending the original copies of your:

All documents should display your acquired name and your acquired gender. The date of the earliest document must be before the start date of the required time.

Sending in Medical Reports

All the application routes require you to send in a medical report. It should show the details of any treatment that you had to change your sexual characteristics. Typical examples include surgery or hormone treatment.

When you send in a medical report it must be an original copy from a qualified medical professional. In many of the cases, it will be from:

The 'Gender dysphoria: list of specialists (T493)' will help you find a doctor or psychologist near you. They can write a report to support an application for a Gender Recognition Certificate.

If you send a report from a registered medical professional not on the list they must be able to prove that they work in gender dysphoria.

You must also get your GP or surgeon to complete a second report if you use the standard route. Get them to fill in 'Form T452: Medical report for gender recognition' and include it with your application.

Note: One of the required medical reports must include the details of your diagnosis of gender dysphoria.

Using the Overseas Application Track

You will need different documentation if you apply using the overseas route. You must have proof that one of the 'approved countries' accepted your gender as legal. Use form titled 'Overseas gender recognition (2011) (T491)'.

Besides that, you should also send either the original or certified copies of these documents (if you have them):

Documentation Required for a Gender Recognition Certificate in the United Kingdom