The UK Rules
Social Housing Regulations

Council House Rules and Regulations

What is a council house? As a general rule council houses are a type of public accommodation or social housing. Government municipalities build most of the council housing in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

COUNCIL HOUSING UK: This page lists council housing rules and housing association regulations. There is extra information and advice about sheltered housing.

It is common to find council housing built on a council estate. UK council estates are building complexes which contain many council houses. They usually have other amenities like shops and school facilities as well.

The majority of council houses in England and Wales got built from 1919 to 1980. As a rule they all stuck to a rigid design following Local Authority building standards.

Council housing eligibility in England goes through the Housing Act 1996. The council housing regulations got amended by the Localism Act 2011.

The latest Act grants the UK government regulatory powers about eligibility for council houses. They can now regulate all council housing allocations for homelessness services in England.

Council House Rules Guide

Apply for a Community Alarm GuideApply for a Community Alarm

COMMUNITY ALARMS: Some councils in England and Wales provide community alarm services. If you apply for a community alarm in your own home it can help to support independent living.

COUNCIL PROPERTY REPAIRS: You can use this link to request a repair to a council property. The council Right to Repair scheme means they have to fix urgent or hazardous problems within a certain period.

Follow UK Rules for 2019 Updates!

Facebook LogoGoogle PlusPinterest LogoTwitter Logo

Apply for a Council Home GuideApply for a Council Home

COUNCIL HOUSING: You must apply to the council housing department to get a council house or flat. The guide also explains about council housing waiting lists and the types of tenancies available.

UNDER 18: Those who are under 18 have rights to social housing for young adults. As a rule, all 16 and 17 year olds will get placed as a priority on the waiting list for council housing.

Apply for Disabled Facilities Grant GuideApply for a Disabled Facilities Grant

DFG GUIDE: Some local authorities offer the Disabled Facilities Grant in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Apply for a disabled facilities grant with your local council to make your home suitable for a disabled person.

Apply for Sheltered Housing GuideApply for Sheltered Housing

SHELTERED HOUSING GUIDE: You can apply for sheltered or supported housing through your local council. Most sheltered housing gets built for disabled persons, the elderly, or those who are most vulnerable.

Housing Benefit GuideHousing Benefit

A GUIDE: You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you are receiving a low income. You can apply for Housing Benefit through your local council to help pay your rent.

Rent a Council Garage GuideRent a Council Garage

COUNCIL GARAGES: Use the government website when you apply to rent a council garage from local authorities. In many cases there will be a waiting list for renting council garages.

Your Right to Buy Your Council Home GuideRight to Buy Your Council Home

RIGHT TO BUY: You may have the right to buy your council home in England. In most cases your council will help you through the application process.

Swap Your Council or Housing Association Home GuideSwap Your Council Home

MUTUAL EXCHANGE: You must follow set rules to swap your council home with another tenant. Your landlord can help if you are a housing association tenant who wants to swap homes.

Council Housing Rules and Regulations in England and Wales