The UK Rules
'Follow the Regulations'
Court Claims

Court Claims - Debt - Bankruptcy

This section provides information and advice about making a court claim, debt recovery, and how to register for insolvency or bankruptcy in the United Kingdom.

SMALL CLAIMS COURT: As a rule, the Small Claims Court process is used informally for solving specific types of applications and misdemeanors which may be ultimately decided by the County Court.

What is a Small Claim?

Small claims are typically made for situations where the value of the claim is not higher than £3000.00.

They should not be related to road traffic accidents, severe personal injuries, slander, any property of a marriage, title to land, or legacy.

Court claims are often resolved legally without needing to use the services of a barrister or solicitor.

Debt Recovery

Recovering a debt from someone or a company that owes you money if they refuse to pay you back will typically depend on the size of the debt.

As a rule, if you are planning to take legal action in the courts using the debt recovery process, remember that you may also need to prove that you are in fact owed the money.

Registering for Bankruptcy

There are alternatives to registering as bankrupt even if you have debt problems. Bankruptcy may not need to be a permanent situation but you need to understand the rules of insolvency before you decide that it is the best way of clearing your debts.

Court Claims and Debt Guide

Apply to Make Someone Bankrupt GuideApply to Make Someone Bankrupt

MAKING SOMEONE BANKRUPT: Information how to present a bankruptcy petition to the court and apply to make someone bankrupt. This process is used most often to recover debts from a people or companies that owe you money.

COLLECTING A DEBT: There are various options to collect a debt owed to you. But, the action you choose to take usually depends on how much money someone owes you and whether you can prove it.

Bailiff Powers When They Visit Your Home GuideBailiff Powers

YOUR RIGHTS BAILIFFS: The section explains bailiff powers and your rights when bailiffs visit your home. Find out how the law protects you and your home if an enforcement officer knocks on your door.

BAILIFFS' CONDUCT: There are several reasons why you might want to complain about a bailiff's conduct. Find out how to make a complaint about a bailiff in the United Kingdom.

WHAT IS A BAILIFF? How do you know if it is a bailiff or debt collector knocking on your door? Check out a simple guide explaining the role and responsibilities of bailiffs in Britain.

Check if a Claims Company is RegisteredClaims Company Registration Check

CHECK IF CLAIMS COMPANY IS REGISTERED: Use the online Authorised Business Register to check whether a claims company is registered and qualified to operate by the Claims Management Regulator.

HOW TO COMPLAIN: There are several ways to complain about a claims management company. It will depend on whether you contact the claims company or make a complaint to the Claims Management Regulator.

Respond to a Court Claim for MoneyCourt Claims for Money

HOW TO RESPOND: What should you do if someone makes a money claim against you and says you owe them money? Find out how to respond to a court claim for money or defend it.

Court and Tribunal FinderCourt and Tribunal Finder

COURT FINDER: You can use the online court and tribunal finder service. The system allows you to find the right court or tribunal on the GOV.UK website.

Insolvency Service Contact Information GuideInsolvency Services

CONTACT INSOLVENCY SERVICE: Get guidance on bankruptcy petitions and misconduct of trading. Extra details cover company insolvency in England and Wales.

Insolvency Service Contact Number
Telephone: 0300 678 0015 (Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm)
Click here to learn about phone call charges.

Scotland and Northern Ireland
The Accountant in Bankruptcy handles bankruptcy and insolvency in Scotland. Contact the Northern Ireland Insolvency Service in Northern Ireland.

INSOLVENCY PRACTITIONER: Search the government website to find a licensed insolvency practitioner near you. You can complain about an insolvency practitioner for unprofessional case handling or unethical conduct.

Court Claims - Debt Recovery - Bankruptcy Advice for the United Kingdom