The UK Rules
Renting from a Local Authority

Renting from a Council or Housing Association

Being eligible for Universal Credit means you may get help with your rental payments and some service charges. You would receive the housing payment so you would need to pay it to your landlord.

Some claimants also qualify for help paying other bills. The extra support would get taken from the main Universal Credit payment.

If You Pay for Service Charges

If you get Universal Credit you might also get help paying for service charges, such as:

Note: Check to see if you can apply for a Council Tax Reduction (often called Council Tax Support). Anyone who qualifies will get a discount on the bill.

Households with Someone Aged 21 or Older

As a rule, you would get a reduced housing payment if your household includes someone who is aged 21 or older (unless it is your partner).

But, the payment does not get reduced if any of these apply to your situation:

Likewise, the reduction of the housing payment would not apply if the person who is 21 or older is (any):

Paying Rent on 2 Homes

The Universal Credit housing payment can cover the rent on two homes at the same time. But, it would only apply if (either):

Removal of the Spare Room Subsidy

Universal Credit housing payments may be reduced if your home has more rooms than the household needs. If the 'removal of the spare room subsidy' applies to your situation, the payment will reduce by:

How to Make a Claim

They will send a housing costs verification form to your landlord if you are living in one of the 'full service' areas.

The landlord must complete the HCV an return send it back. The main purpose is to check the details against your claim and upload it to your online account.

If You Get Behind with Your Rent

What should you do if you fall behind on your rental payments? If this happens, you could set up an alternative payment arrangement (APA). It means they would send your housing payment direct to your landlord.

Note: Your landlord can make the application for an APA or you can discuss it with your work coach.

Universal Credit and Renting from the Local Authority or a Housing Association