The UK Rules
'Follow the Regulations'
Change of Circumstances

Tax Credits Change of Circumstances

'HMRC Tax Credits Contact Information: Online, Phone, by Post'

TAX CREDITS: A change of circumstances may affect your Working Tax Credits. You must report certain changes within 30 days to HM Revenue and Customs Tax Credit Office.

Almost all changes in family and work circumstances affect your tax credits.

In some cases, tax credits will go up, go down, or stop altogether.

You must report any personal and circumstantial changes involving your bank details. Use this guide to inform them when you have a Working Tax Credits change of address.

Why do you need to report a tax credits change of circumstances to the Tax Credit Office? It keeps their records current and you avoid receiving a benefit overpayment. This happens most often if you fail to report an increase in your income soon enough.

Call or write to HMRC for help with tax credits or reporting changes to your circumstances. Prepare as much information as possible before you contact Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.

You should include the old details as well as the new details (e.g. PAYE reference numbers, employment change dates, and names of employers).

HMRC Tax Credits Change Bank Details or Address

Tax Credits: General Enquiries
Telephone: 0345 300 3900
Outside UK: +44 2890 538 192
UK call charges from landlines and mobiles.
HM Revenue and Customs - Tax Credit Office
Comben House, Farriers Way, Netherton, L75 1AX, UK

Tax Credits Report Changes (within 30 days)

You must notify the Tax Credit Office straight away about changes to any of these details. In most cases there is a 30 day deadline for reporting if your:

You must also inform the Tax Credit Office without delay if you:

Tax Credits Overpayment Advice

Receiving money you are not entitled to is not permitted and results in a Tax Credits overpayment. In this case you would need to repay your tax credits and you may receive a penalty.

Cautionary AdviceYou risk a fine up to £300 if you do not report a change within the 30 day deadline. Giving false information on purpose has a penalty up to £3,000.

Other HMRC Tax Credit Changes to Report

Not all HMRC Tax Credit change of circumstances have a 30 day deadline to report changes to tax credits. But, failing to notify them of some situational differences and circumstantial changes could affect your benefits if you:

Note: You should make a new claim for tax credits if you start or end a relationship (or your partner dies).

Changes Affecting Your Tax Credits

Your tax credit payments may increase if:

Your tax credits may go down or stop altogether if:

Tax Credits Update Details and Management

Claimants can manage tax credits and change bank details online by updating their stored information. The HMRC government tool helps you find out how much you might get.

You can also inform HM Revenue and Customs about a change in your circumstances. The tax credits management service is for:

People Also Asked...

What is Tax Credit Income Limits 2017/18?
As a rule, Child Tax Credit is available if you have a child and your household income is under £25,000 a year (before tax). The threshold rises to £35,000 if you have 2 children and £40,000 if you have three. Childcare expenditure may also entitle you to tax credit in certain circumstances even when your income is higher.

Why Has My Child Tax Credit Gone Down?
The government is changing the way people pay taxes and receive them back in credits. They are also keen to reduce the welfare bill of the country. By doing so, they increased the National Living Wage and raised the income tax threshold to £11,500. Extra free childcare may compensate some parents for the unwelcome welfare cuts.

How Do I Change My Bank Account Details for Tax Credits?
There are a few things you need to check before you change your bank account details using the online form. First, make sure the bank account registers to one of the following names:
• Your own name, your partner's name, or you and your partner's joint names (or)
• The name of a person acting on your behalf, or both your own name and the name of a person acting on your behalf.

Note: Some accounts are unsuitable for receiving benefit payments (e.g. Child Trust Fund Account or Individual Savings Account (ISA).

Can I Change My Child Tax Credit Bank Details Online?
You can use the online government Tax Credits service to change your bank details. Login to your HMRC Government Gateway account to make changes to your bank account or manage your tax credits. The link gives you options to create a Government Gateway account, get help if you forgot your password, or chat to HMRC advisor online.

Working Tax Credits Change of Circumstances Online: HMRC Change Bank Details Tax Credits