The UK Rules
'Follow the Regulations'
Reduced Earnings Allowance

Reduced Earnings Allowance

What is the Reduced Earnings Allowance? REA is a weekly payment for qualifying claimants whose income drops because of a work-related disease or accident. The support benefit is for those who cannot earn their potential, due to the industrial injury or disorder.

HOW MUCH IS REA? The 2016 rate for Reduced Earnings Allowance is currently £67.20 per week at its highest level.

But, you will only qualify for Reduced Earnings Allowance if your accident happened (or disease started) before the 1st of October 1990.

Reduced Earnings Allowance can affect other income-related benefits that you or your partner claim. The amount you get depends on what you earn in your regular employment.

The Barnsley Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) centre has further details about the amounts people can get.

You may find your Reduced Earnings Allowance replaced by Retirement Allowance benefit if both of these apply;

Any money you are paid is sent into your bank account or credit union account like most benefits and allowances.

Note: Those who get REA may also qualify for the Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB).

Reduced Earnings Allowance Eligibility

To qualify for Reduced Earnings Allowance you must meet all the following circumstances;

Reduced Earnings Allowance if you Go Abroad

You lose your eligibility for Reduced Earnings Allowance if you leave the United Kingdom. The same applies if you go overseas to live permanently outside the European Economic Area. The EEA includes all countries in the EU, Norway, Liechtenstein, and Iceland.

As a rule you can claim for the first 3 months of your stay for temporary visits abroad. It can be longer for certain circumstances. You can check to see if you qualify at the International Pensions Centre.

International Pensions Centre
Telephone: 0191 218 7777 (Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm)
Find out about phone call charges.

If your circumstances change you must inform the Barnsley Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) centre without delay. Changes in your circumstances can include;

How to Claim Reduced Earnings Allowance

You can get a claim form from the Barnsley Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit centre. The guidance notes on the form will help you to fill it in and inform you where to post it. It is best to claim without delay to avoid losing benefit.

Barnsley Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Centre
Telephone: 0345 758 5433
Textphone: 0345 608 8551
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Note: Other claim formats are available such as audio CD, large print, and braille.

Reduced Earnings Allowance (REA) Eligibility and Rates; UK Rules Updated 2017