The UK Rules
Benefit Overpayment

DWP Debt Management Contact Info

This DWP overpayment recovery guide provides information on when repayments must be repaid. Find out who to contact and how to make a repayment if benefits have been overpaid.

BENEFIT OVERPAYMENTS: Check the current rules on receiving welfare allowance money when it gets paid in error.

The recipient has a responsibility to make all the repayments. Failing to do so can result in a penalty by DWP Debt Management if you get caught.

It is against the law to hang on to welfare money if it got paid to you by mistake. This guide on the overpayments of benefits is also available in Welsh language (Cymraeg).

You must pay back the overpaid amount if it happens. In some situations there may be extra penalties to pay as well.

The claimant is the person held responsible for making a DWP repayment. In most cases you will owe the money to the Department for Work and Pensions debt management office.

Note: You can make an appeal if you dispute a decision made under benefit overpayment law. A different DWP debt recovery contact number handles the process of tax credits overpayment.

When to Contact Your Benefit Provider

Benefit overpayment law requires claimants to contact their benefits office without delay for some situations. You must inform the office that deals with your particular benefit if:

Important Information about DWP Benefit OverpaymentClaimants must inform their welfare providers about any overpaid benefits or allowances. It also applies to those received in error. Failure to do so can result in a civil penalty or a benefit fraud prosecution.

When the Benefits Office Notifies You

Your benefits office may let you know if you have been overpaid. In this case you would receive a Department for Work and Pensions debt management letter.

Notify the office that deals with your overpayment if you think it is a mistake. You must appeal within one month if you want to challenge a decision.

Housing Benefit Overpayment Recovery

What happens if your housing benefit gets paid direct to your landlord? As a rule landlord responsibilities include paying back housing benefits overpayments. Thus, your landlord may need to repay the money. But, the tenant may have to repay if it was their fault.

Benefit Overpayment Repayment

How do you make DWP repayments? You will have to pay the money back to Department for Work and Pensions debt management. You should notify their office if you think the amount you get is wrong - even if it is not your fault.

DWP Debt Management Phone Number 08009160647You should also contact them if it was your fault, such as if:

Taking Repayments from Benefits

DWP reduce the regular amount for those who are still receiving benefit payments. The reduction continues until the money has been repaid in full.

Notify the Department for Work and Pensions Debt Management center if you think they took too much from you for a repayment (see below).

Note: Contact the Department for Communities Debt Management service for benefit overpayments in Northern Ireland.

DWP Debt Recovery after Death

Benefit overpayment law allows them to recover DWP overpayments from estates after the beneficiary dies. You should let the DWP Debt Management contact center know if the person who died owed a repayment.

Contact 'Debt Management Recovery from Estates' instead if the estate shows the person who died should not have received the income-related benefits they were on.

DWP Debt Management Recovery From Estates
Telephone: 0800 916 0624
Monday to Friday: 8am to 7:30pm
Saturday: 9am to 4pm

Making a Payment to DWP

What happens in circumstances where you no longer receive the welfare? In this case they will ask you to make payments to the DWP Debt Management address. They will help you to arrange a payment plan.

Online Banking

Use DWP bank account details to make an online payment. Remember you need to quote the reference number showing on your letter.

Use these details if you are making a payment to DWP from an overseas account.

Cash, Cheques, and Direct Debit

Contact Debt Management DWP to set up monthly repayments by Direct Debit or request a paying-in slip for cheque or cash payments.

DWP Debt Management Phone Number
Telephone: 0800 916 0647
Textphone: 0800 916 0651
Outside the UK: +44 (0)161 904 1233
Monday to Friday: 8am to 7:30pm
Saturday: 9am to 4pm
UK free numbers and paid call charges.
FREEPOST Debt Management Address
PO Box 47 Camberley GU15 9ZN

Bank Statement Codes: Cent Rec Group

You may see a bank statement entry for 'Cent Rec Group DD'. The code stands for 'Central Recovery Group Direct Debit'.

As a rule, it shows that you are paying the Department for Work and Pensions. In most cases it will be to recover an overpaid benefit that you may have received by error.

Unable to Pay: Debt Management Guide

What if you cannot pay back the money you owe? As a rule, they will forward your case to independent debt collection. In these situations, you should deal directly with the independent debt collector to arrange a method of repayment.

One of these independent suppliers will send you a letter. It informs you that they are acting legally on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions Debt Management team.

Note: In some cases Debt Management DWP might ask your employer to deduct money from your earnings.

Benefit Overpayment Guide: DWP Debt Management Phone Number in the UK