The UK Rules
Bereavement Benefits

Claiming Bereavement Benefits Abroad

You continue getting any bereavement benefit overseas if you were getting it when you moved abroad. In these cases, it does not matter which country you move to.

UK BEREAVEMENT BENEFITS ABROAD: You can also make a new claim in certain countries overseas of the United Kingdom.

European Economic Area (EEA) Countries

Living in an EEA country, Gibraltar, or Switzerland may qualify you for:

Countries Outside of the EEA

People who qualify can also make a claim for bereavement benefits in some countries outside of the European Economic Area. You could get the Bereavement Support Payment in:

You might get the Bereavement Allowance, Bereavement Payment, and the Widowed Parent's Allowance in:

Note: The eligibility criteria for the claimant and the payment rates vary between the different countries.

Help and Advice on Bereavement Benefits
Contact the International Pension Centre
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 7608
Information on telephone call charges.


Claiming Benefits Abroad: Check the rules for going abroad while on benefits and how to claim.
Countries You Can Claim Benefits: A list of countries that have special arrangements with the UK.
Jobseeker's Allowance Abroad: See if you qualify for contribution-based JSA overseas payments.
Maternity and Childcare Benefits Abroad: Learn how to get SMP and Maternity Allowance overseas.
Illness and Injury Benefits Abroad: Find out how to claim SSP, ESA, and IIDB overseas of the UK.
Benefits Abroad for Carers: How carers and people with disabilities can get allowances overseas.

Rules for Claiming Bereavement Benefits Outside the United Kingdom