The UK Rules
'Follow the Regulations'
Move to UK

Child Benefit - Move to UK

Find out if you and your children qualify for benefits and which overseas countries have an agreement with the UK.


Use this section to check if you meet the eligibility rules to claim Child Benefit.

If your family is moving to this country from abroad you may also need to prove;

How to Claim Child Benefit

As a rule you do not qualify for Child Benefit if you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and your child does not live with you.

However, you may qualify if you are from the EEA or Switzerland and your child lives in Switzerland or a country from within the EEA.

To qualify, you or your partner must pay United Kingdom National Insurance (if employed or self-employed) or be receiving one of the following benefits;

For those who do not have a job when you arrive in the United Kingdom, to be eligible for Child Benefit you must have been living in the UK for at least three months if you arrived on or after 1 July 2014.

This child benefit rule does not apply if you arrived in the United Kingdom on or after 1 July 2014 and you;

UK Immigration Control

When you enter the UK if you become subject to immigration control you cannot claim Child Benefit unless you are;

Child Benefit Rules if you Move to the United KingdomCountries with a UK Agreement

Note: Child Benefit payments change if you leave the United Kingdom and you should inform the Child Benefit Office if you go abroad for more than eight (8) weeks.

Child Benefit if You Move to United Kingdom; UK Rules Updated 2017