The UK Rules
How to Make a SORN Online

Register a Vehicle Off the Road: Make a SORN

This guide explains the procedure to register your vehicle as 'taken off the road'. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency call it SORN certificate.

MAKE A SORN ONLINE: There are several reasons for declaring a car off the road with the DVLA.

In most cases, it will be because you are storing the vehicle in a garage or on your driveway.

The most common reason is to remove the need to pay vehicle tax (VED). But, you must not use it on the road again unless you have taxed it.

You need to inform the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency in Swansea. They are responsible for vehicle excise duty and road tax registration.

This information clarifies how to declare your vehicle off the road to DVLA. This process of vehicle status is often referred to as making a 'Statutory Off Road Notification' (SORN Certificate UK).

After you make a SORN there could be a road tax refund due for any full months remaining. But, remember if you claim the tax refund you must not use the vehicle on a public road until you 're tax a car after SORN'.

Note: If you are from Wales check here to 'Cofrestru eich cerbyd fel oddi ar y ffordd (HOS)' as it is the same page in Welsh language.

DVLA: Choosing the SORN Start Date

You will need the reference number (16 digits) on your vehicle tax V11 reminder letter or car tax renewal letter. The number should show only 11 digits on your log book (V5C) if you use this method.

SORN a Vehicle Online Now with DVLA

You can take your vehicle off the road immediately. Use the 11-digit number on the vehicle log book (V5C). Click through to the DVLA SORN website and tell them you are taking your vehicle off the road right now.

SORN a Car Next Month (first day)

What if you want to take your vehicle off the road from the first day of next month? In this case use the 16-digit number on your vehicle tax reminder letter (V11). Note that you can only use this number one time during the process.

Note: You will need to inform DVLA using the postal method if the vehicle is not registered in your name.

Make a SORN by Phone or Post

DVLA Vehicle Service
Telephone: 0300 123 4321
24-hour service
Find out about call charges.

Making a SORN by post means you will need to send an application form (V890) to DVLA in Swansea. Remember to inform them of which day you want to take your vehicle off the road. Using the post means it can be any day during the:

SA99 1AR

Register Vehicle SORN: Common Issues

  1. Register a Vehicle Off the Road: How to Make a SORNWhat if the address is wrong on the log book (V5C)?
    1. Write your new address on section 6 of your log book.
    2. Send a filled in 'statutory off road notification (form V890)' and your log book to DVLA.
  2. What if the vehicle is not registered in your name?
    1. Fill in the appropriate part of the log book and send it with a filled in V890 form.
  3. What if you do not have a log book?
    1. Fill in the 'apply for a vehicle registration certificate (form V62)' and send it with the V890 form to DVLA.
    2. The SORN declaration price is free of charge but the cost of getting a new log book is £25.

How to Make a SORN Online: Register a Vehicle Off the Road in the United Kingdom