The UK Rules
DVLA Vehicle Road Tax

DVLA Road Tax Online Rules and Forms

The new regulation changes to DVLA road tax rules are now in effect. The system allows you to get car tax online (for the first time) and make your car tax renewal online.

UK ROAD TAX RULES: New car tax rules are now in force in the United Kingdom.

You can renew your DVLA car tax application online, by telephone, or at the Post Office. The facility also lets you check your car tax online.

New road tax rules let you tax your motorcycle, car, or any other vehicle using the reminder letter (V11). You should receive the V11 reminder letter before the excise duty expires.

You can use a V5C registration certificate (log book in your name) if you do not have a car tax reminder letter.

Use your new keeper supplement (V5C/2) if you have recently bought the vehicle. If you receive a 'DVLA last chance warning letter car tax' you may also use this document for taxing vehicles online.

You will need the payment and you may also need a valid reduced pollution certificate. Remember the DVLA MOT test certificate (must be valid when the tax starts). The only legal alternative is to make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

Car Taxation and Vehicle Road Tax Guide

Applying for HGV TaxApplying for HGV Tax

APPLY TO TAX A HEAVY GOODS VEHICLE (HGV): HGV tax rates are due for Lorries that weigh more than 3.5 tonnes when loaded. You should fill in form V85 and then apply in person at a Post Office that deals with HGV vehicle licencing (tax disc). Provide them with your V5C goods vehicle registration certificate (log book) or you can apply for a replacement if you do not have one.

HGV ROAD TAX BANDS: The amount of tax you need to pay depends on whether you have a Reduced Pollution Certificate. The HGV tax bands check, and whether it has road friendly suspension, also affects the tax rate.

Apply for Vehicle Tax in Advance UKApplying for Road Tax

APPLY IN ADVANCE: You can apply for vehicle tax in advance up to two (2) months before it expires. Send the advance payments and applications to DVLA Swansea SA99 1DZ.

TAXING A CAR: UK road fund tax is non-transferable on used motors at the point of sale. Check how to tax a vehicle for the first time or after buying a second hand car.

VEHICLE TAX REFUND: There are several valid reasons to cancel vehicle road tax. Find out how to cancel VED and get a road tax refund from the DVLA.

Follow UK Rules for 2019 Updates!

Facebook LogoGoogle PlusPinterest LogoTwitter Logo

Calculate Road Tax RatesCalculate DVLA Tax Rates

CHECK ROAD TAX PRICE: A guide listing Vehicle Excise Duty road tax rates. The VED tax rate tables show the bands and 2019 vehicle tax rates for different types of vehicles (including diesels and motorcycles).

VEHICLE ROAD TAX RATES: It may be quicker to use the 'Get vehicle information from DVLA' online service. You will need the V5C document reference number.

Change Vehicle TaxChange Vehicle Tax Classification

CHANGING CAR TAX CLASS: You can change vehicle tax class using the form V70 'Application to Exchange Vehicle Tax'. Mail it to Swansea DVLA with your payment method and any other required documentation.

Check Vehicle is TaxedCheck if a Vehicle is Taxed

CHECK CAR TAX ONLINE: The UK road tax rules allow you to check if a vehicle has tax and a current MOT. You can carry out this car taxation check before you send in a report or make a DVLA car tax application online.

It also informs you whether it is declared 'off road' as per the Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). Follow the relevant SORN rules when you are trying to check vehicle sorn or doing a car road tax check online.

Getting a Clamped or Impounded Vehicle ReleasedClamped Vehicle Release

GET A CLAMPED OR IMPOUNDED VEHICLE RELEASED: Information on clamped car releases and the fees to get your car back. Find out where you have to collect your vehicle from, after clamping or impound.

Vehicle Tax Direct DebitDirect Debit Payments

SET UP A DIRECT DEBIT: Learn how to set up vehicle tax Direct Debit payments or cancel them. Check out how to manage road fund tax by Direct Debit payment method.

Driving Rules and Regulations OverviewDriving Rules and Regulations

RULES FOR DRIVERS: Learn more about your legal rights and traffic requirements as motorists in the UK. The driving rules overview is for drivers, motorcycle riders, and pedestrians using highways in Great Britain.

Importing Vehicles into the UKImporting a Vehicle

IMPORTING VEHICLES: There is a specific process to follow when importing a vehicle into the United Kingdom. Find out how to register imported vehicles and pay vehicle excise duty and VAT.

How to Report an Untaxed Vehicle on the Road in the UKReport an Untaxed Vehicle

CAR TAX DODGING: The DVLA investigate any anonymous reporting of car tax dodgers (not police). Check out how to report an untaxed vehicle if you see it on a public road or highway.

Vehicles Exempt from Road TaxRoad Tax Exemption

EXCLUSIONS: A list of vehicle types exempt from road tax in the United Kingdom. It includes historic vehicles and those used by disabled people.

Making a Statutory Off Road NotificationStatutory Off Road Notification

WHEN TO APPLY FOR A SORN? Reference the V5C registration certificate, V11, or V85/1, if you need to make a Statutory Off Road Notification for your vehicle. This section provides information explaining SORN rules and when to make a declaration.

MAKE A SORN: There are several ways to inform the DVLA that you want to register your vehicle as 'taken off the road'. Check out how to make a SORN online, by phone, or by post.

Car Fuel and CO2 Emissions DataVCA Car Fuel Data and DVLA CO2 Emissions

FUEL DATA: The Vehicle Certificate Agency (VCA Car Fuel Data) website allows you to search and determine the fuel consumption and DVLA CO2 emissions by registration. You can also perform a DVLA car tax bands check, by make model and registration for new and used cars.

VAN TAX BANDS: You can also check the fuel consumption and emissions for vans or light commercial vehicles on sale in the United Kingdom. Fuel consumption is tested on unladen vehicles.

DVLA Vehicle Tax Check: Car Road Tax Regulations in the United Kingdom