The UK Rules
Requesting Details from DVLA

How to Request Information from DVLA

There are several valid reasons to request details about a vehicle's registered keeper from DVLA records. Typical examples would be giving out parking tickets or apportioning responsibility after an accident.

The process of asking the DVLA for information about your own vehicle is a simple one. With 'reasonable cause' you can also request information about another vehicle and its registered keeper.

Requesting Information on another Vehicle

Having 'legitimate grounds' means you can ask DVLA for details to help:

Note: Restrictions apply to private car parking management companies that issue parking tickets or trespass charge notices. They must be members of the British Parking Association or the International Parking Community to request information from DVLA.

Making a Request by Post

There are several different forms to use depending on whether you are requesting details as an individual or as a company. Fill in the appropriate form to make a postal application for information from DVLA records.

Each form contains relevant details on how to pay and where to send the application. Individuals and companies can also read further guidance on what information DVLA will release from their records [MIS546 PDF].

Requesting Information about Your Vehicle

You would need to provide some evidence, but you can ask for access to information that the DVLA holds about:

Note: As a current registered keeper, or a previous keeper, the service to check the history of your vehicle with DVLA is free of charge.

Information to include about Yourself:

Note: You can also view or share your driving licence information online. The record contains a list of any driving bans, penalty points, or disqualifications.

Information to include about Your Vehicle:

Request Details about a Vehicle or its Registered Keeper from DVLA: V888 formSending a Request by Email or by Post:

DVLA SAR Enquiries
Email: [email protected]
SAR Enquiries

Note: The details are NOT for general enquiries. You can contact DVLA here instead.

Request Details about a Vehicle or its Registered Keeper from DVLA