The UK Rules
Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval

Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval Scheme

MSVA is for vehicles without European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval. It is a cost effective method of type approval for 2, 3, and most small 4 wheelers.

MSVA GUIDE: What is the purpose of Motorcycle Single Vehicle Type Approval? The European Community set it as the legal requirement.

The MSVA scheme is a way for motorcycles and similar vehicles to become 'type approved' before registration.

The standards of vehicle type approval integrate construction, design, and environmental impact.

Thus, manufacturers can build motorcycles to a single specification set for European markets.

On this basis, the majority of governments came to the same conclusion for their motorcycle market. They agreed that it warrants a single vehicle type approval scheme to operate in coexistence with ECWVTA.

MSVA Scheme Rules

If a motorbike is not registered it is illegal to ride it on the public highways. This covers bikes with 2 and 3 wheels as well as light vehicles with 4 wheels.

Registration must follow the standards of the European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval. The Certificate of Conformity (CoC) is proof of this.

So how to get a Certificate of Conformity? Have it inspected following the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval scheme rules to get a CoC.

Some vehicle have radical alterations, such as changing the chassis or engine size. In this case, it must use the MSVA scheme to receive get the Certificate of Conformity. This would apply to:

Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval Eligibility Criteria

The MSVA scheme is for vehicles that are under 10 years old and not registered in the United Kingdom. It also applies to vehicles that do not have ECWVTA. The types of vehicles that meet MSVA eligibility include:

The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency produces a detailed guide with definitions. Refer to the MSVA inspection manual appendix 1 for in depth information on vehicle type approval.

Note: There is a difference between a motorbike (motorcycle) and a moped (or a scooter).

A moped has an engine displacement not exceeding 100cc, no manual gearshift, and is capable of no more than 30mph on a level surface. It does not get considered as a motorbike unless it meets all three conditions.

Partial Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval Rating

A Certificate of Conformity states which side of the vehicle has the steering wheel. It also clarifies what units of distance the speedometer displays.

All vehicles travelling on UK roads must have equipment to meet the rules of the Highway Code. The vehicle must meet ECWVTA regulations, but it also needs to be 'street legal'.

In this case a Partial MSVA meets the legal requirement. Vehicles undertaking a Partial MSVA must conform to:

MSVA Vehicle Identification Numbers

If your vehicle does not have a vehicle identification number (VIN) you must apply for one from the DVLA. All vehicles must have a VIN before getting an MSVA inspection. But, the DVLA inspection has a mandatory fee.

SA99 1ZZ

Choosing a Test Station

All Partial MSVA inspections get carried out at Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency test stations. Make sure they have approval to test the category of your vehicle before you choose which station to use.

MSVA Test Station Address in United Kingdom Test Categories
Aberdeen Cloverhill Road, Bridge of Don Industrial Estate, Aberdeen, AB23 8FE B, T, Q
Beverley Oldbeck Road, Off Grovehill Road, Beverley, East Yorkshire, HU17 0JW B, T, Q
Bristol Merebank Road, Avonmouth, Bristol, BS11 8AQ B, T, Q
Cardiff (Llantrisant) School Road, Miskin, Pontyclun, Mid Glamorgan, CF72 8YR B, T, Q
Carlisle Brunthill Road, Kingstown Industrial Estate, Carlisle, CA3 0EH B, T, Q
Chelmsford Widford Industrial Estate, Chelmsford, CM1 3DR B, Q
Derby Belmore Way, Alvaston, Derby, DE21 7AY B, T, Q
Edinburgh (Livingston) Grange Road, Houston Industrial Estate, Livingston, Edinburgh, West Lothian, EH54 5DE B, T, Q
Exeter Grace Road West, Marsh Barton Trading Estate, Exeter, Devon, EX2 8PU B, T, Q
Gillingham Ambley Road, Gillingham, ME8 0SJ B, T, Q
Leighton Buzzard Stanbridge Road, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, LU7 4QG B, T, Q
London West (Yeading) Cygnet Way, Willow Tree Lane, Yeading, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 9BS T, Q
Manchester (Chadderton) Broadway Business Park, Broadgate, Manchester (Chadderton), Oldham, OL9 9XA B, T, Q
Newcastle-upon-Tyne Sandy Lane, Gosforth, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE3 5HB B, T, Q
Norwich Jupiter Road, Hellesden, Norwich, NR6 6SS B, T, Q
Southampton (Northam) Unit R Centurion Industrial Estate, Bitterne Road West, Southampton, SO18 1UB B, T, Q
Watford Unit A, Caxton Court, Caxton Way, Watford, WD18 8RH B

MSVA and Partial MSVA Application Form

You can use the technical application system or print the form and then post it to:

Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
Padley Road
Swansea SA1 8AN

After you choose a Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency test station they will inspect your vehicle. They will issue a Minister's Approval Certificate (MAC) when it passes the inspection. This certificate is a mandatory document needed to register your vehicle.

Making an Appeal for a Re-test

If the vehicle fails the MSVA test you can appeal for a re-test. The appeal must be within 14 days and carried out using the MSVA17 form. The re-test must take place at the original testing station.

Note: There is a charge for second test fee. But, you can apply for a refund if the vehicle passes the re-test.

Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval Scheme in the United Kingdom