The UK Rules
How to Become a Lorry Driver

Becoming a Lorry Driver (Bus or Coach)

This section explains the bus and Lorry driver qualifications and licence procedures. Learn how to become a Lorry driver, or start driving a bus or coach for a profession.

BECOMING QUALIFIED: There are certain qualifications required before you operate a heavy goods vehicle or a passenger carrying vehicle.

Lorry or Bus Driver: Qualifications

The 3 steps of getting qualified and becoming a Lorry driver (or bus) are:

  1. Holding a full car driving licence.
  2. Being at least 18 years old (some exemptions apply to this age rule).
  3. Obtaining a professional driving qualification known as the full Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC).

Full Driver Certificate of Professional Competence

The full Driver Certificate of Professional Competence is a requirement to drive a Lorry, coach, or bus as the main part of a profession.

As a rule, you will need to pass four separate tests to get the CPC. Exceptions exist for certain cases of 'acquired rights' (see driver CPC training for qualified drivers). This could be because of some existing experience in driving large goods vehicles.

Steps to Get Full Driver CPC (and retain)

  1. Apply for the provisional lorry or bus licence.
  2. Pass all 4 tests that make up the Driver CPC qualification.
  3. Participate in 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years (to stay qualified).
  4. You must renew bus or lorry licence at 45 every 5 years to meet driving medical standards. This becomes an annual requirement from the age of 65.

Follow UK Rules for 2019 Updates!

Facebook LogoGoogle PlusPinterest LogoTwitter Logo

National Vocational Training Course

Approved National Vocational Training (NVT) courses have different rules. It allows the driving of certain vehicles professionally for a period up to 12 months. Taking the NVT means Driver CPC part 2 and CPC module 4 tests are not required.

Note: You can apply to defer taking the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) part 2 and 4 tests if taking a National Vocational Training (NVT) programme.

Driver CPC Exemptions

There are some situations when you do not need a CPC qualification to drive haulage vehicles. As a rule, the full Driver Certificate of Professional Competence is not necessary if:

DVLA driver CPC exemptions also apply the vehicle is:

Note: You would still need to pass the part 1 theory test and part 3 driving ability test of the CPC qualification.

DVLA D2 Form Download: Provisional Lorry Licence

Check the driving licence categories for the provisional licence that you would need. It would depend on the type of vehicle you want to drive. You will need to order two forms from the DVLA. They must include HGV D2 driving licence application form and D4 form.

A doctor (GP) or a private firm specialising in drivers' medical exams must fill in form D4. But, an optician may need to fill in the section on eyesight. They may charge a fee for this service.

Note: Apply for a provisional trailer (+E) licence after you get the full licence for the type of vehicle you will drive. Do not start driving a Lorry or bus on a car licence. Loss of a car licence means an automatic loss of a Lorry or bus licence as well.

Sending DVLA D2 Application Form

There is no fee for the HGV licence application form. Send off both forms with your photocard driving licence to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

Note: What if you have the old paper driving licence? In this case include a passport-style colour photo with the original identity documents.

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
SA99 1BR

DVLA usually return the driving licence within three (3) weeks after receiving the application. It may take longer if they need to check your health information or personal details.

Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) Fees

Provisional Licence

Test Costs

Note: The prices quoted are for booking the tests using the official service. Unofficial websites may charge more. Extra charges may also apply for weekdays, evenings, and during UK bank holidays.

Driver CPC Card Costs

NVT Concession Fees


Driver CPC Part 1 Test Theory: The process for booking part 1 test theory and how the exam works.
Driver CPC Part 2 Case Studies: How to book the part 2 test case studies and how the exam works.
Driver CPC Part 3 Driving Ability: The process of booking part 3 test driving abilities and how it works.
CPC Module 4 Practical Test: Find out how to book CPC part 4 test on vehicle safety demonstration.
After You Have Qualified: Check the process for getting a Driver CPC card and how to replace one.
Vehicle used for Driving Test: Lorries used for practical driving tests must meet certain regulations.

How to Become a Lorry Driver: Licence Requirements for Driving Large Goods Vehicles