The UK Rules

HomeUK RegulationsBusinessImporting › Invasive Species

How to Import Non-Native Animals

A simple definition of a non native animal is one that has been 'accidentally' or 'intentionally' introduced into the United Kingdom.

This help guide explains the process for importing non-native animal species into the UK and how to apply for a licence using form RM01.

Importing Nonindigenous (Alien) Animals

There are strict rules to follow when importing, or planning to keep, non-native animals in the United Kingdom.

The same legislation also applies to other pets and animal species that you either buy, or acquire them for selling.

In some circumstances, you would need to apply for more than one licence and place the animal into quarantine.

There are several importing rules to comply with - determined by the animal's country of origin and which of the following regulations cover it:

Thus, before you try to import an invasive (alien) animal from outside of the United Kingdom, it is important that you:

Furthermore, to avoid a severe fine (or being prosecuted by the authorities) you must not:

Note: The master section contains more advice and information about the rules for importing commercial goods into the United Kingdom.

Typical examples of non-native animals includes species of:

Import Licence Application (RM01)

You cannot import a non-native (alien) animal into Great Britain without a valid licence. Note that the application for a licence to import live animals (Form RM01) excludes pet dogs, cats, and ferrets).

The information sent on the form goes to the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA). They will use it to decide whether to quarantine the imported animals.

Animal and Plant Health Agency
Telephone: 03000 200 301

Quarantining Non Native Animals

As a rule, it is the animal species that will determine whether it needs to be placed in quarantine - once it arrives in the United Kingdom. If so, APHA will contact you.

The importer will be responsible for arranging any quarantine requirements. In most cases, non-native mammals need to stay quarantined for:

Importing Endangered Species

Some animal imports require a permit issued under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (e.g. CITES imports and exports).

The APHA Centre for International Trade has more information about CITES licences when importing from outside the European Union (EU):

Animal and Plant Health Agency
Telephone: 0117 372 3700

EU Invasive Alien Species Regulation

Contact APHA for further guidance about the forms needed to apply for permits when moving and using invasive alien species (e.g. under article 35(1)).

Licence to Keep Non Native Animals

Further detailed guidance is available to help you apply for a licence to keep non-native species of animals:

Important: The EU Invasive Alien Species Regulation applies to permit applications for certain species from the 3rd of August 2016.

Licence to Release Non Native Animals

You must make sure any non-native (alien) animal cannot escape into the wild. Another section explains how to apply for a licence to release non-native wildlife in the United Kingdom.

Note: The GB non-native species secretariat website contains more information about limiting the effects of an invasive species on human health and for UK wildlife.

Related Help Guides

Note: This short video presented by 'Wild Suburbia UK' highlights ten species that are invasive to the United Kingdom.

UK Rules for Importing, Keeping, or Releasing Non-Native Animals