The UK Rules

HomeUK LawsBusiness RulesFarming › Transporting ABP

Transporting Animal By-Products

The strict rules for the transportation of animal by-products in the United Kingdom help to prevent the spread of deadly diseases (e.g. BSE, foot and mouth).

This help guide explains when you need to register, vehicle hygiene regulations (including split trailers), and legal temperatures for the carriage of ABP.

Registration Requirements to Transport ABP

You need to register with the Animal and Plant Health Agency (using form AB117) to handle or use animal by-products (ABPs), unless:

Note: You need to use BSE50 registration form to register under TSE (transmissible spongiform encephalopathy) regulations if you will be transporting unmixed restricted or processed animal protein.

Using Sub-Contractors to Haul ABP

The Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) is responsible for approving bona fide ABP operating plants in Great Britain and the Channel Islands.

After registering the business with APHA, you can use a sub-contractor for haulage. But, the sub-contractor must also register with APHA before they start hauling animal by-products.

APHA has a list of animal by-product (ABP) operating plants and transporters that they have already approved in Great Britain and the Channel Islands.

ABP Storage and Vehicle Hygiene

There are three animal by-product categories (e.g. site approval, hygiene, and disposal). All operators of haulage businesses that transport animal by-products (including any ABP derived products) must ensure they:

Important: The main section contains more advice and information about farming laws and regulations in Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Transporting ABPs in Leak-Proof Vehicles

Failing to prevent animal by-products from leaking during the transportation of ABP can result in a prosecution (e.g. from the local authorities). Thus, you must check (both):

Transporting Animal By-Products in Split Trailers

If you are using a split trailer to transport ABP, it will need to be 'associated' with either an approved plant or a registered haulier. Furthermore, you will need to (both):

Trailers need to have a method of separating ABPs by category. APHA officers carry out inspections to check, and they have the power to stop the transportation of different ABP categories.

Loading and Unloading a Split Trailer

Each section needs to be identifiable by the specific category of animal byproducts stored inside when loading a split trailer. Thus, plant owners or hauliers have a responsibility for nominating a person to load and unload the trailer.

Always start unloading the trailer with products that have the lowest risk of spreading disease. As a result, you must load split trailers with:

Follow that by tipping the front section of the trailer in the category one (1) reception area. The next step is to thoroughly clean and disinfect the vehicle.

Important: Remember to record the receipt of uncontaminated category three material and then complete the checking procedure for each load.

Checking for Traces of Stained Category 1 ABPs

The walls of split trailers must form a complete seal. So, when tipping the category three section, you will need to make sure there are no traces of stained category 1 ABP material.

All animal by-products (ABPs) in carriage will become category 1 if you find traces of stained material - meaning you must dispose of them.

Temperature for Moving ABP Consignments

You must transport meat-based animal by-products at a maximum temperature of 7° Celsius if they will be used as pet food.

But, transport unprocessed Category 3 ABP in a chilled state (or frozen or ensiled) if they will be used as feed or pet food, unless:

Keeping Records and Labelling Containers

All containers and vehicles need to be 'clearly' labelled. Defra and APHA give further guidance about commercial documentation when moving ABPs.

Paperwork is not a legal requirement for transporting ABPs when the container or truck will be carrying:

Note: The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has further guidance about importing live animals or animal products from non-EU countries.

Related Help Guides

Note: Another section contains more information about moving animal bones and proteins around Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

UK Rules for Transporting Animal By-Products (ABP)