The UK Rules
Training for Ratings and Officers

Special Training for Ratings and Officers

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) list some minimum training requirements for ratings or officers when working on certain types of ships.

This help guide has information on the special training required by ratings and officers to carry out their duties on tankers, high-speed craft, and passenger ships.

Training Requirements to Work on Tankers

To carry out work as an officer on a tanker, or a rating with cargo handling duties, you would need to have completed (either):

As an officer responsible for cargo operations, you would also need extra training and a tanker endorsement.

Fill in Form MSF 4210 to apply for a tanker endorsement on a UK certificate of competency (or for use on board UK vessels).

Note: MCA guidance notes MSN 1861 explain the requirements to revalidate all certificates of competency and tanker endorsements under the STCW convention and code.

Masters or Officers on High-speed Craft

To work as a master or an officer on a high-speed craft (including hovercraft) you would need to complete special training in:

In most cases, ratings or engineers working on a high-speed craft would also need to complete specialist training, depending on the duties carried out.

The MSN 1740 guide introduces the revised requirements for training and certification of officers and crew on all high speed craft.

Note: MCA guidance notes MGN 26 (M) contain detailed information on special training required for working on high-speed craft.

Training for Working on Passenger Ships

The specialist training required to work on a passenger ship means you need to complete certification courses in:

Your duties might include providing direct service to passengers. In this case, you would also need to complete additional training in:

You may also have the responsibility for the safety of passengers in emergency situations (including cargo safety and hull integrity).

If these tasks fall within your duties on board you would need to complete specialist training in:

Note: MCA guidance notes MGN 203 (M) contain details on the minimum level of training for concessionaires and crew to work on board UK domestic passenger ships of classes IV to VI (A).

Special Training Required by Ratings and Officers in United Kingdom